Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
_The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher
Do you think the "excess" pronouns and other "excess" words here are something a native Greek speaker would write?:

Revelation (looking at a 1975 Zondervan interlinear of the Greek)
2.26 The [one] overcoming, I will give him authority
3.12 The [one] overcoming, I will make him a pillar
3.8 opened door that no one is able to shut it
3.21 The [one] overcoming, I will give him to sit with me.
6.4 and to the [one] sitting on it, was given to him
6.8 the [one] sitting upon it, name to him The Death
7.2 angels to whom it was given to them
7.9 a much crowd, which to number it no one was able
9.11 a king... name to him in Hebrew "Abbadon," and in the Greek he has [the] name "Apollyon"
12.6 desert where she has there a place
12.14 place of her where she is nourished there
13.8 of whom have not been written the names of them in the scroll of life of the Lamb
13.12 first beast of which was healed the stroke of death of it
17.9 seven mountains where the woman sits on them
20.8 of whom the number of them [is]
21.7 the overcoming [one]... I will be to him God

Do you think the "excess" pronouns and other "excess" words here are something a native Aramaic speaker would write?:

"And he conquering... I give to him"
Revelation 2.26 (based on Glaser)
And he conquering and guarding/keeping my work,
I give to him authority regarding/over peoples/nations.

"the door... not... capable... to be seizing it"
3.8 I know your works and behold,
you are given before you the door/portal being open,
that of not man capable/allowed to be seizing it,
because of little/few power/strength having to you,
and my Word you guard/keep,
and in my name you deny not.

"And he who conquers, am working him"
3.12 And he who conquers, am working him pillar/baptism in the temple/holy-place of God,
and outside not depart/go-out again/repent,
and am writing upon/regarding him the name of my God
and the name of the new city "Jerusalem,"
that/hand of decending from my God,
and the name of mine new.

"And he conquering, I give to him"
3.21 And he conquering,
I give to him to be sitting with me
upon the throne of mine,
likewise that I conquer
and I sit with my father
upon the throne of his.

"and to him sitting upon it, was given to him"
6.4 And departs/goes out a red horse,
and to him sitting upon it,
was given to him to be taking peace/health/completion from the earth
and to one another will slaughter/sacrifice,
and was given to him/it sword/blade/war/desolation great.

"horse, and its name of it who sat upon it 'Death/Poison'... one-fourth of it-- of the earth"
6.8 And I saw a green/pale horse
and his/its name of him/it who sat upon it "Death/Poison,"
and Sheol follows to him/it.
And was given to him/it authority upon/over/against one-fourth of it-- of the earth--
that will kill/slaughter in sword/blade/war/desolation
and in hunger/famine
and in death/poison
and in the living beings of earth.

"four messengers, those that were given to them... will cause them harm-- to the earth and to the sea"
7.2 And I saw another malaka [messenger] of going/coming/rising from the eastern sun
and having to him/it sign of God living/life,
and cries out in a voice/sound exalted/cast-out
to four malaka [messengers],
those that were given to them,
that will cause them harm--
to the earth and to the sea.

"before him-- he the lamb"
7.9 And afterwards I saw an assembly large/many
which that to its number/count not having that able/possible
being from all/every people and tribes/generations and inhabitants and tongues/languages
of standing/rising before the throne and before him-- he the lamb--
and they were wearing robes/garments white/shining,
and in their hands palms.

"And having over them malaka-- its malaka... his name in Hebrew 'Enslaves Them,' and in Aramaic the name to him is 'Releases/Strength'"
9.11 And having upon/over them malaka [angel(s)/messenger(s)]--
m-L-a-k-h [his/its malaka] of the abysses/pits,
of his/its name in Hebrew "Enslaves Them,"
and in Aramaic the name to him/it having/is "Releases/Strength."

"a place she has being to her there"
12.6 And the woman fled to the wilderness/desolation
a place she has being to her there,
a place/position of prepared/readiness from God
who will nourish her one thousand and two hundred and sixty days.

"to her place to be nourished there... from before its face-- of the serpent"
12.13 And was given to the woman two wings of an eagle great
that of flying to the wilderness/desolation
to her place to be nourished there
time times and one-half time from before his/its face-- of the serpent.

"all of them-- of earth its inhabitants"
13.8 And will worship/honor to her/it all of them-- of earth its inhabitants--
they, those of not written in the writing/book of life-- it/he of the lamb-- the slain one--
before its foundation/conception of this world/age.

"it... healed [from] the wound of its death"
13.12 And authority of the living being/creature first/before all of it
of being transferred before her/it
and is working to earth and to those inhabiting in it,
and will worship/honor to the living being/creature first/before--
she/it of being healed/recovered the wound of her/its death.

"seven mountains... she sat... upon them"
17.9 Here/now logic/reason to he/she having to him/her wisdom/discernment,
seven heads--
they are seven mountains
where she/has sat--
the woman upon them.

"gathering them... those of their number like sand of the sea"
20.8 And departs/goes-out to be deceiving/burdening them-- to all of them--
peoples/nations in its four corners of the earth
to expand and to be covering and to be gathering them
to war/approach those of their number like sand of the sea.

"And he conquering, he will inherit"
21.7 And he conquering,
he will inherit these,
and will be to him God,
and will be to Me a son/daughter.

What do you think was written first:
the Greek with its "excess" pronouns and "excess" words?
the Aramaic with its "excess" pronouns and "excess" words?

Hat tip:
_Studies in the History of the Greek Text of the Apocalypse: The Ancient Stems (Text-critical Studies)_ (2018) by Josef Schmid, translated and edited by Juan Hernández et al., 298pp., 253-4
https://www.amazon.com/Studies-History-G...628372044/

===============================================.
Do you think Revelation 13:1 originally had:
"And I saw a beast rising from the sea"?
"And _the dragon_ stood on the sand of the sea, and I saw a beast rising from the sea"?
"And I stood on the sand of the sea, and I saw a beast rising from the sea"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"names"?
"name"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:1
New American Standard Bible
And _the dragon_ stood on the sand of the seashore. Then I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten crowns, and on his heads were blasphemous names.
Berean Literal Bible
And I saw rising out of the sea a beast, having ten horns, and seven heads, and on its horns, ten diadems, and upon its heads, names of blasphemy.
King James Bible
And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And I stood on the sand of the Sea, and I saw a beast ascending from the Sea, which had 10 horns and seven heads, and upon its horns, 10 diadems, and upon its heads the name of blasphemy.
World English Bible
Then I stood on the sand of the sea. I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads. On his horns were ten crowns, and on his heads, blasphemous names.

Revelation 13:1 - And I stood on the sand of the sea, and I saw [a beast out of the sea] coming up with ten horns and seven heads. On his horns were ten crowns, and on his heads was the blasphemous name.
I stood - this is the reading... of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28 reads: "And he remained standing."
name - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek TR. The reading of the Greek MHT is: 'names'. In the reading of the Greek NA28 the word 'names' is in brackets. Several manuscripts (A 051 1611 1854 2053 2344 2351 ÏK) read here ||ὀνόματα|| (onomata - i.e. ’names’) but the singular ||ὄνομα|| has better support (Ì47 |א| C 1006 1841 2329 ÏA).

Do you think Revelation 13:4 originally had:
"like the beast"?
"like this beast"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:4
Berean Literal Bible
And they worshiped the dragon, who had given authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, "Who is like the beast? And who is able to make war against it?"
King James Bible
And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?
And they worshiped the Dragon that gives authority to The Beast, and they worshiped The Beast saying, “Who is like this Beast, and who is able to war with it?”

Revelation 13:4 - They worshiped the dragon that gave power to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like unto this beast? Who can wage war against it?”
this beast - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the beast'.

Do you think Revelation 13:5 originally had:
"blasphemies"?
"blasphemy"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"authority to make war"?
"authority to act"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:5
Berean Literal Bible
And a mouth was given to it, speaking great things and blasphemy, and it was given authority to act forty and two months.
King James Bible
And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.
And a mouth that speaks great things and blasphemy was given to it, and authority was given to it to work 42 months.
World English Bible
A mouth speaking great things and blasphemy was given to him. Authority to make war for forty-two months was given to him.

Revelation 13:5 - To the (beast) was given a mouth speaking great words and blasphemy(s), and power was given to the (beast) to do it [forty-two months [(long)]].
big words - literally: 'great (things)'.
blasphemy[(en)] - the plural reading is found in the Greek NA28 and TR. The singular reading is from the Greek MHT and from the Aramaic Peshitta'.
to do that ... - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28. The reading of the Greek MHT and TR is: 'to make war'.

Do you think Revelation 13:6 originally had:
"and his tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven"?
"and the dwelling of those who dwell in Heaven"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:6
Literal Standard Version
and it opened its mouth for slander toward God, to slander His Name, and of His dwelling place, and of those who dwell in Heaven,
King James Bible
And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.
And it opened its mouth to blaspheme before God, to blaspheme The Name and the dwelling of those who dwell in Heaven.

Revelation 13:6 - And he opened his mouth to blaspheme GOD, to blaspheme his name, and the Dwelling of them that dwell in heaven.
and the Dwelling of those who dwell in heaven - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "and his Tent and them that dwell in heaven."

Do you think Revelation 13:7 originally had:
"over all tribes and tongues and nations"?
"over every tribe and people and tongue and nation"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:7
Berean Literal Bible
And there was given to it to make war with the saints, and to overcome them. And authority was given to it over every tribe and people and tongue and nation.
King James Bible
And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.
And it was granted to make war with The Holy Ones and to conquer them, and it was given authority over all generations, peoples, languages and nations.

Revelation 13:7 - It was given to make war against the saints and to overcome them, and it was given power over every tribe and people and language and (over all) nations.
about every tribe and people and language and nation - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek NA28 and MHT. Only in the reading of the Greek TR is the word 'people' missing.

Do you think Revelation 13:8 originally had:
"from the foundation of the world"?
"before the foundation of the world"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:8
Berean Literal Bible
And all dwelling on the earth will worship it, of whom their names have not been written from the founding of the world in the book of life of the Lamb having been slain.
King James Bible
And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
And all the inhabitants of The Earth will worship it, those who are not written in The Book of Life of The Lamb slain before the foundation of the world.

Revelation 13:8 - All who dwell on the earth shall worship it (beast), those whose names are not written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world.
the names - in the Aramaic Peshitta it literally says: 'their names'.
before the foundation - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR is often translated as: 'from the foundation of the world'.

Do you think Revelation 13:9 originally had:
"has an ear"?
"has ears"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:9
Berean Literal Bible
If anyone has an ear, let him hear.
King James Bible
If any man have an ear, let him hear.
Literal Standard Version
if anyone has an ear—let him hear:
World English Bible
If anyone has an ear, let him hear.

Rev 13:9 (APNT)
He who has ears should hear.

Revelation 13:9 - He who has ears, let him hear.
ears - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. We find the reading 'ear' in the singular in the reading of the Greek NA28.MHT and TR.

Do you think Revelation 13:10 originally had:
"if anyone is to go into captivity, he will go into captivity"?
"whoever leads into captivity goes into captivity"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

"If anyone is to be killed with the sword, he must be killed"?
"he that kills with the sword will be killed with the sword"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:10
Berean Literal Bible
"If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he goes;
If anyone is to be killed with the sword, by the sword it is necessary for him to be killed."
Here is the endurance and the faith of the saints.
King James Bible
He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity:
he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword.
Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.
Whoever leads into captivity goes into captivity
and those who murder with the sword will be killed with the sword.
Here is faith and the endurance of The Holy Ones.
World English Bible
If anyone is to go into captivity, he will go into captivity.
If anyone is to be killed with the sword, he must be killed.
Here is the endurance and the faith of the saints.

Rev 13:10 (APNT)
He who leads into captivity will go into captivity
and he who kills with the sword will be killed with the sword.
Here is the faith and the patience of the holy [ones].

Revelation 13:10....
Those who are killed with the sword .... - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of... reads: 'If anyone is to be killed with the sword, he shall be killed with the sword'. .... The reading of the Greek MHT reads: "If anyone is with a sword, he must be killed."

Do you think Revelation 13:11 originally had:
"and it had two horns like a lamb"?
"and it had two horns and was like a/the lamb"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:11
Berean Literal Bible
And I saw another beast rising out of the earth,
and it had two horns like a lamb, and it was speaking like a dragon.
King James Bible
And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth;
and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon.
And I saw another Beast that ascended from the ground,
and it had two horns and was like The Lamb and was speaking like The Dragon.

Revelation 13:11 - (Then) I saw [another beast] coming up out of the earth. It had two horns, and it was like the Lamb, (but) it spoke like the dragon.
It had two horns ... on the Lamb - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "It had two horns like those of the Lamb."

Do you think Revelation 13:14 originally had:
"He deceives my own people who dwell on the earth"?
"And it deceives those living on the earth"?
"And it will deceive those living on the earth"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:14
Berean Literal Bible
And it deceives those dwelling on the earth, by reason of the signs that were given to it to perform before the beast, telling those dwelling on the earth to make an image to the beast that has the wound of the sword and has lived.
King James Bible
And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.
And it will seduce those living on The Earth by the signs that were given to it to perform before the Beast, to tell the dwellers on Earth to make an image to the Beast, which had the wound by the sword and lived.
World English Bible
He deceives my own people who dwell on the earth because of the signs he was granted to do in front of the beast; saying to those who dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast who had the sword wound and lived.

Rev 13:14 (APNT)
And he will seduce those who are living on the earth by way of the signs that are given to him to do in the presence of the creature, telling those who are living on the earth to make an image for the creature who had the wound of the sword and lived.

Revelation 13:14 - It will deceive those who dwell on the earth by the signs that were given him to do in the sight of the (first) beast, to tell those who dwell on the earth to make an image for the beast that had the wound of the sword and came to life.
It will tempt those who ... - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'it tempts those who ...'. The reading of the Greek MHT reads: "It deceives my people, those who ..."
for [(the eyes of)] the ... beast - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta, but the words 'the eyes of' have been added for clarity from the text of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.
weather - this word is not part of the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta, but has been added for clarity from the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Do you think Revelation 13:16 originally had:
"marks"? "a mark"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:16
Berean Literal Bible
And it causes all the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free and the servants, that it should give them a mark on their right hand or on their forehead,
King James Bible
And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
World English Bible
He causes all, the small and the great, the rich and the poor, and the free and the slave, to be given marks on their right hands, or on their foreheads;
And it will cause all, small and great, rich and poor, Masters and Servants, to be given a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads,

Revelation 13:16 - It causes all, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead,
little ones ... slaves - in the Aramean Peshitta we find no definition. article for the various categories of people and in Dutch that also sounds better. In the Greek NA28, TR and MHT we find the definite article for each category of people, so 'the small and the large ...'.
a mark - the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta and of the Greek TR and NA28 is: 'a mark', but the reading of the Greek MHT is: 'marks'.

Do you think Revelation 13:17 originally had:
"mark--the name of the beast"?
"mark of the name of the beast"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:17
Berean Literal Bible
and that no one should be able to buy or to sell, if not the one having the mark--the name of the beast, or the number of its name.
King James Bible
And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
That no one may buy or sell again except one who has the mark of the name of The Beast or the number of its name.

Revelation 13:17 - and that none can buy or sell except he who has the mark of the name of the beast or the number of his name on him.
than he who has the mark of the name of the beast - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "then whoever has the mark, the name of the beast, or ..."

Do you think Revelation 13:18 originally had:
"number of a man. That number is 666"?
"number of a man; and his number is six hundred sixty six"?
"number of a man, six hundred and sixty and six"? (the Crawford ms. contains that)

Revelation 13:18
New International Version
This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.
King James Bible
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Rev 13:18 (APNT)
https://aramaicdb.lightofword.org/en/new...ons-search?
Here is wisdom. And he who has understanding should count the number of the creature, for it is the number of a man, six hundred and sixty-six.

Revelation 13:18 - Here is the wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, six hundred and sixty-six.
the number of a human being - this is the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta. In the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR it follows: 'and its number is: ...'
six hundred and sixty six - in the Aramaic Peshitta this number is written in full, without numbers. In the reading of... there are these three Greek letters: ||χξς||.

Messages In This Thread
RE: _The Peshitta Holy Bible_ translated by David Bauscher - by DavidFord - 06-13-2021, 11:23 AM