Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settling this once and for all!
DrawCloser Wrote:The NIV reading say that one has to "repent and be baptized" to receive the forgiveness of sins.
Yeah, but the NIV is a dynamic (or as I like to say, interpretative) translation (thought for thought) so I would not trust it if you want to know what the text actually says. Don't get caught being NIV-positive!

Ethridge and Murdock both translate according to the comma placement of the NKJV and NASB (with the comma coming after "repent" and before "be baptized") but the "each of you" comes following "be baptized" as we read in the NIV.

Quote:Acts 2:38 - Shemun saith to them, Repent, and be baptized, every man of you, in the name of the Lord Jeshu, for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Ethridge)
Acts 2:38 - Simon said to them: Repent, and be baptized every one of you, in the name of the Lord Jesus, for the remission of sins; so that ye may receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Murdock)

Comma placement is up to the translator though because they don't exist in Semitic languages, but as far as word order goes, looking at the Aramaic itself I would agree plainly with Ethridge, Murdock and Younan. Repent/return and be immersed/baptized, man-man (each) etc.

But I don't think we can settle this issue from looking at the text alone because different levels of interpretation can be made on each text to support either position. So cultural context would have to be investigated (i.e. what did Jews believe regarding the immersion/tevilla of a mikvah, what we now call baptism, in the 1st century at that time, and did our Lord come and teach anything differently?) and then contrast that with, say, Christ's words at the end of Mark and Paul's words at the beginning of Romans 6, and then get all of our interpretations in order. But that would exceed the scope of this forum.

Messages In This Thread
Settling this once and for all! - by DrawCloser - 08-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Alan G77 - 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Alan G77 - 08-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Alan G77 - 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Luc Lefebvre - 08-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Alan G77 - 08-18-2012, 02:46 AM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Alan G77 - 08-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Thirdwoe - 08-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Phil - 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Thirdwoe - 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Re: Settling this once and for all! - by Thirdwoe - 08-23-2012, 03:44 PM