Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
found / burned motifs both work?!?!?
Shlama Akhi Larry,

This is curious. I don't see the word that you reference here in "The Aramaic New Covenant Peshitta Text with Hebrew Translation" for 2 Peter 3:10. I have on occasion noted a difference between it however and the "blue book", or swadaya version, but I keep the latter at work so I can't compare at the moment.

What I can say though is that the word in question in the ANCWHT is TAIQED (SEDRA # 9439, spelled taw-alap-qoph-dalet) and it does mean "will be burned up".

I suspect that Lamsa and company have engaged in a little dynamic equivalence game. As you rightly point out, the negative "not" (LA) does not appear in the Peshitto text of 2 Peter 3:10. However, I would like to point out that it does not have to. Reason being, if the earth's foundation is all burned up (TAIQED), then by defintion that foundation is gone, and hence "it can't be found". The NO does not need to appear if they are simply rendering substitute phrases for what is the same physical effect. I surely would not translate this way, but I understand why they did.

Now, I suppose someone can say the earth is burned TO ITS FOUNDATION, which means it CAN be found because it is exposed by the departure of the rest of the planet, but I would argue against this reading. The simple fact is, the verse itself reads otherwise as W'ARAA W'AIVDEH DEBA TAIQED, or 'and the earth AND ITS WORKS (which would include the foundation) WILL BE BURNED UP.

Hope this helps!
Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Messages In This Thread
Wrong word or wrong reading? - by Andrew Gabriel Roth - 05-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Elements melt and earth remains ! - by gbausc - 05-03-2005, 02:35 PM