Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Peshitta (Public)
Original message

Paul Younan EMail Paul YounanCheck IP address of this member "John 3:15"
Jun-12-2001 at 02:27 PM (GMT3)
Shlama l'Kulhon Bnay Alaha,

There are two sections of the Grammar you will need to reference in order to appreciate this example.

In the Proclitic Section of the Grammar, the Proclitic B is introduced. You will notice that the particle when attached to the beginning of the word means "By, Into, In, Inside, etc."

In the Enclitic Pronoun Section of the Grammar, the Enclitic Pronoun hb is explained. You will notice that it is simply the Proclitic B with a h appended to signify the 3rd-person masculine - "In him, by him, through him, on him, etc."

Let us examine the Aramaic version of John 3:15 -

hb Nmyhmd $nlkd (So that everyone who believes in Him)
db0n f (not will perish)

The key to this example is, of course, the highlighted hb (In Him, though Him, on him, into him, etc.)

If the various Greek manuscripts of Yukhanan's Gospel were translation from the Aramaic version of Yukhanan, we would expect that they would vary in their exact translation of this Enclitic, and in fact they do.

The following Greek manuscripts translate it "In Him": p75, B, W, 083 0113

The following translate it "On Him": p63vid, p66, A, L

And the following translate it "Into Him": S, K, Delta, Theta, Pi, Psi, 086, f1, f13, 28, 33, 565, 700, 892, 1010, 1241

Don't these variants in the Greek manuscripts suggest an underlying written Aramaic original?

If Yukhanan was writing in Greek, wouldn't he have chosen one of the three ways to translate Mshikha's Aramaic word hb ?

How did this become three different readings in the Greek, if it was originally written in Greek?

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Table of contents

RE: John 3:15
Andrew Gabriel Roth — Jun-12-2001 at 02:47 PM (1)
Yukhanan 3:16-Word Play
Stephen — Jun-12-2001 at 04:19 PM (4)
RE: Yukhanan 3:16-Word Play
Paul Younan — Jun-12-2001 at 04:23 PM (5)
Andrew Gabriel Roth — Jun-12-2001 at 04:43 PM (7)
Paul Younan — Jun-12-2001 at 04:51 PM (8)
Andrew Gabriel Roth — Jun-12-2001 at 04:41 PM (6)
Iakov — Jun-12-2001 at 03:29 PM (2)
Paul Younan — Jun-12-2001 at 04:08 PM (3)

Lobby | Forum Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

Andrew Gabriel Roth EMail Andrew Gabriel RothCheck IP address of this member 1. "RE: John 3:15"
Jun-12-2001 at 02:47 PM (GMT3)
THAT'S A KEEPER!!!!!!!!!!

LIKE MY 76ERS, IT'S A SCORE IN THE HOOP!

BTW AKHI KHABIBA---

Did you notice the word play in the very next line? Very nice pun, yes?

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Stephen EMail StephenView member profileCheck IP address of this member 4. "Yukhanan 3:16-Word Play"
Jun-12-2001 at 04:19 PM (GMT3)
Sh'lama Akhi Andrew:
Stephen Silver wrote:
The unique "word-play" in Yukhanan 3:16, is between 0nl9l "world", and Ml9ld "eternal". This is exactly the Hebraic thought of okug "olam", "Ayin-Lamed-Vav-Mem", "eternity/world". I have used the "Drogulin Font", for the Hebrew.

Fkrwbw 0ml4
Stephen Silver

Paul Younan EMail Paul YounanCheck IP address of this member 5. "RE: Yukhanan 3:16-Word Play"
Jun-12-2001 at 04:23 PM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhay Stephen w'Andrew,

Thanks for filling me in - I never saw that, otherwise I would have made a footnote to it. I've been scratching my head since you posted this.

Beautiful example, Andrew.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Andrew Gabriel Roth EMail Andrew Gabriel RothCheck IP address of this member 7. "RE: Yukhanan 3:16-Word Play"
Jun-12-2001 at 04:43 PM (GMT3)
So, I'm not the only one who has a second edition to work on at some point?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Paul Younan EMail Paul YounanCheck IP address of this member 8. "RE: Yukhanan 3:16-Word Play"
Jun-12-2001 at 04:51 PM (GMT3)
Second edition? Buddy, you're gonna be working on that book for the rest of your life! Our work has just begun.

If Kaylen ever gets on a regular schedule , I'll be able to continue on edition 1 of my work!

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Andrew Gabriel Roth EMail Andrew Gabriel RothCheck IP address of this member 6. "RE: Yukhanan 3:16-Word Play"
Jun-12-2001 at 04:41 PM (GMT3)
» Last edited by Andrew Gabriel Roth on Jun-12-2001 at 04:45 PM (CT)

EXACTLY AKHI STEPHEN!

"cosmos" may be a really cool book by Carl Sagan but it is a poor substitute for the Aramaic, take my LOGOS for that. Actually...KEEP MY LOGOS AND I'LL STICK WITH MILTHA.

Now let's think about the profundity of this in Jewish prayer. Every major prayer starts out the same:

BARUCH ATA ADONAI ELOHAYNU MELECH HA OLAM (LAHLAM)

Blessed are You O LORD our God, King of the Universe...

And how do many of these prayers-- especially the Aramaic ones-- end?

Is it not:

LAHLAM AL-MEEN AW-MAYN

Forever and ever amen

And what does our Rabbi always say even in regular speech? Is it not:

AW-MAYN, AW-MAYN. (Kind of beats the @*$Q% out of "Verily, verily I say unto thee" doesn't it?)

So the LAHLAM is not forever and shall pass away, but those who believe in Meshikha have LAHLAM KHAYA (eternal life) because the TRUTH (AW-MAYN=TRULY) has set us free-- at least those of us who know and accept the sacrifce do.

That's the great thing about Meshikha Y'shua-- even when he isn't praying-- he is.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Iakov EMail IakovView member profileCheck IP address of this member 2. "RE: John 3:15"
Jun-12-2001 at 03:29 PM (GMT3)
Shlama Akh Paul,
>
>>Let us examine the Aramaic version
>of John 3:15 -
>hb >face="Estrangelo (V1.1)" size="5"]Nmyhmd $nlkd (So
>that everyone who believes >color="#308080"]in Him)
>db0n f (not
>will perish)
>
>The key to this example is,
>of course, the highlighted >face="Estrangelo (V1.1)" size="5" color="#308080"]hb (In
>Him, though Him, on him,
>into him, etc.)
>
>If the various Greek manuscripts of
>Yukhanan's Gospel were translation from
>the Aramaic version of Yukhanan,
>we would expect that they
>would vary in their exact
>translation of this Enclitic, and
>in fact they do.
>
>The following Greek manuscripts translate it
>"In Him": p75, B, W,
>083 0113

>
>The following translate it "On Him":
>p63vid, p66, A, L
>
>
>And the following translate it "Into
>Him": S, K, Delta, Theta,
>Pi, Psi, 086, f1, f13,
>28, 33, 565, 700, 892,
>1010, 1241

>
>Don't these variants in the Greek
>manuscripts suggest an underlying written
>Aramaic original?
>
>If Yukhanan was writing in Greek,
>wouldn't he have chosen one
>of the three ways to
>translate Mshikha's Aramaic word >face="Estrangelo (V1.1)" size="5" color="#308080"]hb ?
>
>
>How did this become three different
>readings in the Greek, if
>it was originally written in
>Greek?

NOW you have something. I want to look at the variants myself and look at their history. I do not give alot of credibility to much in the textus receptus and you quoted in previous posts but this example has teeth.

Oh yeah good pun on B'nay in your greeting; refering back to your Luke 7:35 post?

Shlama,
Iakov.

Paul Younan EMail Paul YounanCheck IP address of this member 3. "RE: John 3:15"
Jun-12-2001 at 04:08 PM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi Iakov,

I'm glad you noticed and enjoyed the pun. I meant 'sons' and not 'creation', though.

Let me know what you think of the Yukhanan 5:1 post.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

REMOVE

Lobby | Forum Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic