Oldest Estrangela Inscription II

Email this topic to a friend
Printer-friendly version of this topic
Archived thread - Read only 
Previous Topic | Next Topic 
Home Conferences Peshitta (Public)
Original message

Rob EMail RobView member profileCheck IP address of this member "Oldest Estrangela Inscription II"
Oct-02-2002 at 07:34 AM (GMT3)

Now we got it! I reduced the resolution.

This is from Han J.W. Drijvers and John F. Healey, "The Old Syriac Inscriptions of Edessa and Osrhoene", 1999 Brill.

I think its cool that this script is older than 6 A.D.!!! Where exactly is Birecik?

$lma,
Rob

Table of contents

RE: Oldest Estrangela Inscription I...
Paul — Oct-02-2002 at 08:21 PM (1)
Rob — Oct-02-2002 at 01:08 AM (2)
Paul — Oct-04-2002 at 04:45 AM (5)
Also,
Rob — Oct-03-2002 at 08:15 AM (3)
RE: Also,
Paul — Oct-04-2002 at 04:42 AM (4)
Paul — Oct-04-2002 at 04:52 AM (6)

Lobby | Forum Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic
Messages in this topic

Paul EMail PaulView member profileCheck IP address of this member 1. "RE: Oldest Estrangela Inscription II"
Oct-02-2002 at 08:21 PM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi Rob,

Thanks for the wonderful images....

Hey, did you notice the dialect differences between the Peshitta and this dialect of Edessa?

Notice that the imperfect is conjugated with the prefix Yodh (very Targum-like, "Chaldaic") instead of the Nun (as the Peshitta would render it):

• Xb4y instead of Xb4n
  • F0y instead of F0n
  • 0zxy instead of 0zxn

Also, notice how the Shin character in this Edessan inscription is very close to the shape of the Ashuri~Hebrew S rather than the shape of Peshitta Estrangela $

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Rob EMail RobView member profileCheck IP address of this member 2. "RE: Oldest Estrangela Inscription II"
Oct-02-2002 at 01:08 AM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi,

Yes! You've pointed out two important features of this inscription.

I just wanna know where this alaf comes from!

Rob

Paul EMail PaulView member profileCheck IP address of this member 5. "RE: Oldest Estrangela Inscription II"
Oct-04-2002 at 04:45 AM (GMT3)
» Last edited by Paul on Oct-04-2002 at 04:47 AM (GMT3)

Hi Akhi,

>Yes! You've pointed out two important
>features of this inscription.

Then how is it that "scholars" say that the Peshitta was written in the dialect of Edessa? Things that make you go "hmmmmmm."

>I just wanna know where this
>alaf comes from!

You mean the shape? The Estrangela "Alaf" looks a lot like an Ox, does it not? And isn't that what the word originally meant, and isn't it real close to the pictograms it was originally written in?

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Rob EMail RobView member profileCheck IP address of this member 3. "Also,"
Oct-03-2002 at 08:15 AM (GMT3)
I've been keeping an eye out for uses of rbg in inscriptions, in interest of Matti 1, but haven't seen any.

Tomorrow at school I'll check the Dictionary of the North-west Semitic Inscriptions.

$lma,
Rob

Paul EMail PaulView member profileCheck IP address of this member 4. "RE: Also,"
Oct-04-2002 at 04:42 AM (GMT3)
Alaha bless you Akhi Rob - I know how frustrating it is to try an find that elusive reference! Right now, I'm trying to go through all the searchable texts that CAL has up on their site. It'll probably take a couple of months just to do that!

This proof will be sweet when found (and it will be found!)

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

Paul EMail PaulView member profileCheck IP address of this member 6. "RE: Oldest Estrangela Inscription II"
Oct-04-2002 at 04:52 AM (GMT3)
Shlama Akhi,

>Where exactly is Birecik?

Berecik is in modern-day south-eastern Turkey, very close to Edessa, close to the Iraqi border.

Today Edessa is called "Urfa" by the modern Turks, it was called "Edessa" by the Greeks and "Ur-hai" by the Aramaic-speakers.

Fk^rwbw 0ml4

Peshitta.org

REMOVE

Lobby | Forum Topics | Previous Topic | Next Topic