Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 errors and 1 intentional fraud in two verses?
Luke 13:32

Greek: ???And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.???

The Greek texts say ???will be perfected???.

The Aramaic equivalent in the Peshitta is fmt4m (Meshtamlea), meaning ???finished/completed???. It is visually and aurally similar to 0ylm4m (Meshemlaya), which does have ???perfected??? as one of its meanings.

The Peshitta???s ??????I shall be finished??? is a superior reading. It can be argued that ???perfected??? is the same thing as ???finished???. However, it is still noteworthy that the Greek says ???perfected??? which is closer in meaning to ???Meshemlaya??? than the Peshitta???s reading of ???Meshtamlea???.

Amazingly, the very next verse also has a mistranslation in the Greek.

verse 33

This verse has another mistranslation (straight after the error in the previous verse!) and curious ???3rd oddity???.

Greek: ???Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.???

The Greek texts say ???to walk??? (usually translated into English as ???go??? or ???depart???. This doesn???t make much sense, seeing as Yeshua was talking about His ???works??? in verse 32. In fact, you could even take the Greek to make a liar out of the Messiah! On one hand He gives a message to Herod that He will continue his works on the first and second days (verse 32), and on the other hand He says that He will ???depart???... More on this later.

The Aramaic equivalent in the Peshitta is rw9s0 (Aseor), meaning ???work???.

The root r9s has many meanings, including: visit, travel, do (work) and effect.

Here are some words that derive from this root:

Bishop (0rw9s), because a bishop travels and visits his parishes (e.g. 1Peter 2:25)

Matter/Affair/Business (0nr9ws), because this is done (e.g. 1Thessalonians 4:11)

Action (0nr9ws), because an action is effected (e.g. Luke 23:51)

Getting back to the word in question, rw9s0, the translator correctly identified the root as r9s. Realizing that he just correctly translated the same root in Luke 1:68 as ???visit???, he probably thought that Jesus is talking about visiting and walking about.

But Yeshua was talking about the need to do His work today and tomorrow, not his walking schedule. And this, in supposedly the book with the ???best Greek??? of the New Testament.

As for the possible deception by Jesus in the Greek, the Aramaic contrasts the activities of the first two days (???doing His works???) and the other day (???leaving??? ??? a 3rd oddity in these 2 verses). The Greek gives the impression that all three days have the same activity (leaving), which makes Yeshua sound like a liar in His message to Herod, especially as He says ???nevertheless???. The use of ???nevertheless??? in the Greek makes Jesus sounds like a liar; in the Aramaic it is acceptable as in verse 32, He says He will be ???finished??? on the 3rd day, while verse 33 elaborates by mentioning His leaving.

More on the ???third oddity???: The Aramaic says ???But I must do my work today and tomorrow, and I will leave the next day??? while the Greek says ???Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following???. Even with the mistranslations, the Greek should still have a contrast of activities, like the Aramaic has. Perhaps the Greek translator changed this intentionally (making all three days of the same activity), to make some sense of his other two mistakes!

That was a complex explanation, and I hope you can understand it. It is not necessarily easy to succinctly explain THREE errors in just TWO verses.
Or perhaps you can see a reason from the Aramaic wordage that explains the "3rd oddity"? But I think it was just an intentinal fraud to make sense after the 2nd mistranslation.