Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using not chaptered and versed text
There is a possibility.
To read the New Testament text without numbers of chapters and verses is better. Why? Because the inspired authors of the text did not put any numbers into their text. Let us look at the ancient texts.
Who did this? Somewhere in about 8 century CE or so.
It is good to read the text appearance as it was in the original.
One reading the numbered chapters and numbered verses becomes heavily dependant on the numbers not on the text sequence. It becomes not remembering of the text.
One reading pure text without numbers becomes heavily dependant on the text sequence. When he hears somebody reading a paragraph he knows where it is comparing to other paragraphs. Because the sequence of events and themes is in his heart.
The devil was trying by many methods to deface the face of the original. But the original must not be altered.
Just come closer to the original and treasure it.
I think this is a very good point, I understand this could cause things to be somewhat problematic in practical ways, but I think they create artificial divides.

At any rate it is better to completely ignore chapter and verse divisions when reading, but I forget to do that so often! they are very powerful influences, I understand there are natural division in the OT though, I think chapters I could deal with, but I think a Bible without verses would be a great help and look very beautiful.
Shlama,

although i find the chapter/verse divisions certainly helpful, it is indeed good to remember they were an addition of man, and keep that in mind while reading.

for those interested, there is an ancient division that is incorporated into the Hebrew text through major and minor breaks in the flow of text. these are called setumot and petuchot - closed and open passages. the setumot is a passage with a minor break of text - then it begins again on the same line. the petuchot are major breaks in text, like what English would consider a paragraph. these are from antiquity, and don't coincide with the chapter/verse divisions. setumot signal a minor change in topic, while petuchot signal a major change in topic.

i recall Andrew mentioning that there is something similar in the textual tradition of the Peshitta, but i can't remember exactly what it was, and i haven't seen it elsewhere. maybe someone more familiar with it could give an explanation?

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy