Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bishop / Elder / Care-taker
Shlama Akhay,

This paragraph from William Norton's book gives us an example of how the Peshitta is very independent of the Greek.

********* {Quoting William Norton} *************
In the words used to describe church elders, there is evidence that the Peshito is not a mere word-for-word translation, as some imagine, of the Greek Text. The Syrians sometimes used the Greek word episcopos, in the form of episcope. It is used in Acts xx. 28, "The church--the assembly, over which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers ;" for 'overseer' is the meaning of episcopos, anglicised in the word 'bishop.' But in I Tim. iii. 1, where the Greek has "the office of overseer," the Peshito has "the office of elder." In verse 2, the Greek has 'overseer'; the Peshito, 'elder.' In Phil. i. 1, the Greek has 'overseers,' the Peshito, 'elders.' In Titus i. 7, the Greek has 'overseer,' the Peshito, 'elder.' In I Pet. ii. 25, the Greek has 'overseer,' the Peshito, 'care-taker.' So that the difference of the words used for the same office in all those cases but one, shows that the Greek was not a mere translation of the Syriac.
****** {End of quote by William Norton} **********

The Aramaic word for 'elder' is [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]04y4q[/font], qashiysha, and the Aramaic word that William Norton translates as 'care-taker' is [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0rw9s[/font], seora.

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey