Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi i have some questions and comments but its quite long.
Shlomo akhi,

The Hebrew script you are referring to is the Asshuri script or square script which I believe Ezra had a hand in developing way back when. I, for one, am intringued by the Estrangelo script since it's a kind of link to modern Arabic as well as being the script used in the Peshitta. I plan on learning this script...as a work in progress. The evidence, however, is that the Asshuri script was used in the land of Israel, and "in vogue" at the time and place of Jesus. This simplifies things for me since I am already very familiar with the Asshuri script from Tanach and modern Hebrew. There is a Peshitta rendering (plus the bonus of a Hebrew translation) in the Asshuri script available on this very site! I have ordered a copy and I'm on pins and needles until I receive it! This is a true Godsend to me since up until now I left the finer points of word definition in the testimony that is popularly called the New Testament to the Greek aficionados. But no longer!!!! I thank God for the oportunity to study the Gospels in the original Aramaic...in the words of the Master Himself! I am beside myself with joy at this! We also have a number of lexicons available that are a tremendous help for us English speakers who read Asshuri script. I have downloaded volume 1 of Jastrow's lexicon of both Talmud and Targums...but I am presently unable to locate volume 2 because of poor computer skills on my part. I hope to be able to do this soon. I hope this helps you. Oze v??hadar! (strength and honour!)

Yochanan

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Yochanan - 02-21-2004, 01:42 PM
[No subject] - by gbausc - 02-21-2004, 05:04 PM
[No subject] - by Zechariah14 - 02-22-2004, 03:00 AM