Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Khaboris codex
Shlama lukhon!

I have some questions regarding the Khaboris manuscript and whether it's existence clarifies, enhances or supports other manuscripts including the Peshitta.

The claim of a book I have read on the subject (Khaboris Manuscript put out by the Foundation of Human Understanding) is that the phonic dots (vowel markings) included in the Khaboris codex lend a different interpretation to some of the words we have hitherto used in previous translations. Of course we encounter the same problem in the Hebrew as it was also originally written without the nikud markings...hence the different possible interpretations. I submit the following for your commentary and I especially would ask for the commentary of Paul Younan (whom I pray is in good health).

ex.1 In Mat. 5:3 the word "poor" (misken) changes to "home" (masken) which then reads "Blessed is he whose home is in the Spirit"

ex.2 In Mat. 5:48 the word for "perfect" (gmeer, gmeerii) would be rendered "all inclusive"? As opposed to gmera (perfect)? This one particularly distubs me as I see no such distinction in the Hebrew. "Gamour" means complete, period. But I must ask of course. Is there a difference or distinction to be made here?

ex. 3 In Mat. 4:5 the word for "devil" (adhilkarrsa) is rendered "uprightness".

I would appreciate help in sorting these things out. Anyone?

Yochanan
A few years back, I received a brochure from Dr. Rocco A. Errico of Noohra Foundation or Aramaic.org (I could not recall) and I thought of buying the facsimile of this manuscript from them.

If anyone of you have the facsimile of this Codex, please let me know the quality of this Codex. Is it worth buying?
One of the first owners of the facsimile of <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0802837867/ref=nosim/ultimyourulti-20"><b>Codex Leningrad</b></a>
Shlama Akhi,

I have the Khabouris fascimiles and have asked Paul about it. He also has it and pointed out that it is 11th century; He also quoted the subscription by the copyist that dates the exemplar it copied from as from the time of The Great Persecution, which refers to the period from AD 340-400 in Persia. This would make it the copy of a fourth century manuscript, earlier than any Peshitta copy known , and before Bishop Rabbula supposedly created The Peshitta in the 5th century, according to Burkitt !

Paul says it is identical to almost all Eastern Peshitta mss., as he also says practically all Eastern mss. are identical, from 5th to 11th centuries.
I have examined it somewhat; it is definitely the same as the Eastern text as the Church of The East uses. John 8:1-11 is missing and it contains the Eastern 22 book canon.

As far as the teachings of Rocco Errico, I smell a New Age agenda there that has no basis in the gospels; he is wresting scripture and words to fit his agenda and attempting to destroy the true meaning. He cannot succeed and he does not serve Messiah by so doing, in my opinion.

Vowel points were not used in pre -5th century times. Anyone who claims to correct them on the basis of such an ancient ms. is a deceiver.
The Khabouris is a tremendous witness to the early origin of The Peshitta and the incredible integrity of the text, due to the extreme diligence and devotion of the scribes of the Eastern Church. It also demolishes Burkitt's theory about the late creation of the Peshitta by Rabbula.

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0ml$w 0twby+ [/font]

Dave B
Here are some past links to discussions on the khabouris;

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401&highlight=khabouris">viewtopic.php?t=401&highlight=khabouris</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201&highlight=khabouris">viewtopic.php?t=201&highlight=khabouris</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198&highlight=khabouris">viewtopic.php?t=198&highlight=khabouris</a><!-- l -->