Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillipians 3:20
Shlama Akhay.

From the Greek of Phillipians 3:20, the ASV translates "For our citizenship (πολιτευμα) is in heaven;"

πολίτευμα-- politeuma-- pol-it'-yoo-mah

Thayer Definition:
1) the administration of civil affairs or of a commonwealth
2) the constitution of a commonwealth, form of government and the laws by which it is administered
3) a state, commonwealth
3a) the commonwealth of citizens

From the Aramaic of Phillipians 3:20 (Etheridge)--"But our employment (1) [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Nnxlwp[/font] is in heaven,..."

(1)--1 Pulchonan. Pulchono is " occupation," whether sacred, cultus, or civil, operatio.

P'uOLKHaNaN -- trade, occupation, work

Considering Etheridge's footnote and the Greek word 'politeuma' defined above, did Zorba confuse sacred occupation with civil occupation?

The latter part of verse 19 shows the contrast and how it fits the context--- occupied with the earthly vs. occupied with the heavenly-- "...they, whose mind is in the earth" (Etheridge), followed by "But our employment is in heaven..." as stated above.

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey
I like it when you keep finding these little "pearls". It let's me know that you don't think we are swine otherwise you wouldn't cast them before us for our pleasure.

Keith
Keith Wrote:I like it when you keep finding these little "pearls". It let's me know that you don't think we are swine otherwise you wouldn't cast them before us for our pleasure.

Keith

Swine!...Not hardly!...More like wild mavericks blazing the mesas and Semitic steppes free from Zorba's harnesses and Hellenistic "horsing-around"!

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey