Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why hast thou forsaken me? - Matthew 27:16 / Mark 15:34
Why hast thou forsaken me or why have you spared me? ??? Matthew 27:16 / Mark 15:34

The importance of this semi split word, dealing with God???s alleged forsaking of Jesus, especially to the field of Christian apologetics, hardly needs to be stressed.

The KJV says (Matthew 27:46): ???And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me????

The KJV says (Mark 15:34): ???And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me????

The first issue with this story, is that the Greek and English tell us that God allegedly forsook Jesus, resulting in the unfortunate twisting of Scripture by Christian apologists. The second issue, applies to Aramaic primacists. Greek primacists say, ???If Matthew and Mark were written in Aramaic, why do the Gospel-writers write the same thing twice (i.e. first the Aramaic words of Jesus, then the Greek translation)???, instead of just simply translating it?

Let us deal first with the first.

???Had Jesus in this last hour said that God had forsaken Him, the Jews would have used this saying against Him. They would have taken it as a confession that He was a blasphemer and therefore God had deserted Him in His darkest hour; because God never forsakes the righteous, but He may forsake the sinners.

This is not all. Had Jesus' cry meant forsaking, He not only would have destroyed the faith of his disciples and followers, but would have contradicted His own teaching, the very assurance which He had given to His disciples, and the very cause for which He was dying. On the other hand, judgement and death on the cross did not come upon Jesus suddenly. On many occasions He had told his disciples that He would die on the cross and rise again; they had heard him saying, "You will leave me alone; and yet I am never alone because the Father is with me." (John 16:32)

How is it that the European translators of the Bible in the 17th Century A.D. who were thousands of miles from Palestine, and who could not speak Aramaic, knew more about Jesus' cry on the cross than the Jews who spoke Aramaic and stood near the cross watching Him die? And how is it that Peter, John, and other disciples and follows of Jesus never commented on these ominous words? Indeed, if Jesus had meant desertion they would have commented on it, because such a statement, or even such a thought was contrary to all Jesus had preached and taught. The apostles did not comment on these last words simply because they knew what Jesus meant in their Galilean dialect, or northern Aramaic. Moreover, they knew had He meant forsaken, He would have used the
Aramaic word taa tani, which means forsaken.??? ??? Dr. George Mamishisho Lamsa

Another problem with this, is that apologists will often try to explain that at that moment, Jesus was sin, and that is why God forsook Him. Well, if God forsook His own Son for sin, what hope do we have?

The simple solution, from the Aramaic, is that Jesus did not imply that God forsook Him at all! The Aramaic ???sabachthani??? does not have to mean forsaken. It can mean many things, among them, ???spared???. Now ???lemana??? (written as ???lama??? in the Greek copies) denotes a question, so a fairly accurate translation would be:

???This is why I have translated this verse:
"My God, My God, Why have you spared me?" (i.e., let's finish this, let's get this over with!)??? ??? Paul Younan

Now, does this rendering make sense? For what reason/s did Jesus ask, ???Why have you spared me???? Well for one thing, Jesus was suffering horrendous pain for about SIX HOURS. Crucifixions can last even longer! This is a valid explanation, especially as soon after saying this, He finally died. Also, this is consistent with the fact that many in the crowd thought He cried for Elijah. Why would they think that? Perhaps, as He called out for ???Eli???, His exhaustion and heavy breathing caused Him to add an ???ah??? on the end. Try talking when you have gone for a long run (or been crucified for 6 hours) and you???ll see what I mean. ???Eli-ah??? sounds a lot like ???Eliyah??? does it not?

However, there are other possibilities too. It may have been Jesus??? eagerness to fulfill His destiny and to go to Paradise. It may also have been His wish to fulfill more Torah prophecy! It was prophesied that a bone of His would not be broken, and since He died, there was no need for the Roman soldiers to break His legs.

So basically we have two main possibilities. The ???forsaken??? rendering is not very possible, due to the word chosen, and the resulting contradictions. The ???spared??? rendering is very possible, doesn???t allow for contradictions, and just makes sense. And that???s what the Peshitta is all about.

Now let us deal with the second issue, the attack on Peshitta primacy, caused by the ???doubling up??? of the same message in the Peshitta (first Jesus??? Aramaic words, then a translation into the Aramaic Peshitta).

Well, to start with, the book of Matthew in the original Aramaic does not ???double up???. It does not have the translation of what ???Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani???? means. But this does indeed occur in Mark. Why?

Well, Mark was writing to people who spoke a different dialect of Aramaic than Jesus, and, many thought that Jesus was calling for Elijah. Evidently, Mark wanted to be very clear, and translated this into his audience???s dialect.

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Steve Caruso, "Coblentz", Dean Dana, Dr. George Mamishisho Lamsa, "Otto", Andrew Gabriel Roth, "Sieg", Stephen Silver and Paul Younan for the constant analysis of this critical Greek mistranslation.
Shlama Khabibi Akhi Chris:
I???m here again doing the ???Devil???s advocate???... (NB. I apologize in advance for the Theological considerations necessarily involved in this issue, which you or anybody else could not agree with).

You wrote:
???Had Jesus in this last hour said that God had forsaken Him, the Jews would have used this saying against Him. They would have taken it as a confession that He was a blasphemer and therefore God had deserted Him in His darkest hour; because God never forsakes the righteous, but He may forsake the sinners.

1) Jesus was praying the Psalm 22 (probably He recited it completely, in Hebrew more likely). The evangelists mention only the first phrase of the Psalm, which TAKEN ISOLATED, it really SEEMS to express abandon by God. I believe that Jesus was ???truly God and truly MAN??? (as we also say in the shared Niqya Creed [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]04nrb hl 0whw [/font]). The ???Incarnation??? was not a ???performance???. Jesus was not ???pretending to be a human being???. It was dramatically real. Although Jesus was sure of the continuous presence of the Father (John 16:32, your quote, and many others...), if we take the Incarnation MYSTERY seriously, we should be able to accept some kind of human ???crisis??? in Jesus, who ???but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet [He was] without sin??? (Heb 4:15 KJV) and ???had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, AND WAS HEARD... 2) Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered??? (Heb 5:7 - 8). You???re right when you say that ???the Jews would have used this against Him...??? I think that if the evangelists dared to keep this phrase (Lk switched to the ???softer??? Psalm 31:6; Or it was recited ALSO by Jesus?), they honestly took the risk only because historically Jesus did pronounce it so. Scandal? Yes, thanks! After all, Faith, to be free, must have the ???Exit door??? kept open...
3) We can???t take a phrase or verse isolated: the Psalm 22 begins indeed with this ???experience of abandon??? (22:1) but IT ENDS WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF HOPE AND LIVE BEYOND THE DEATH!: ???22:22, I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee... 22:25, My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him... 22:26, The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek him: your heart SHALL LIVE FOR EVER.??? Did Jesus said ???or at least tried to say??? it entirely? Probably. In any case, Lk???s change (or choice?) for Psalm 31:6, (???Into thine hand I commit my spirit???) more than geting around the ???scandal???, just puts explicitly what was implicit in the (partial) quotation of Psalm 22: the deeper feelings and, in spite of everything, the deepest trust of Jesus in the Father.

Another problem with this, is that apologists will often try to explain that at that moment, Jesus was sin, and that is why God forsook Him. Well, if God forsook His own Son for sin, what hope do we have?

I don???t agree with that explanation of (some of-- to be precise) the Apologists. Paul???s statement ???For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin??? (2 Co 5:21) has to be well understood. But I don???t agree neither with the consequences you withdraw from their affirmation: God didn???t forsook His own Son in the death (although He allowed Jesus to dye, Cf. Rom 8:32: ???He that spared not his own Son [NOTE Peshitta! [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)] sx f [/font]didn???t have pity of], but delivered him up for us all???), He RAISED Him! And that???s the basis of our hope.

Now let us deal with the second issue...

In this point I enthusiastically and entirely agree with you!
I think however that the ???confusion??? of those who listened Jesus (Mt 27:47: "He's calling Elijah.") could be well explained if we have this in mind:
1) In His agony, Jesus probably pronounced the words not very clearly or stammering intermittently.
2) In the same Psalm 22, verse 11 there are two words that could be easily misunderstood:
ht' yl' ym' ??Xbm ??xrm ytklHh ??ylv
Note that final words ht' yl' (???ELY ???ATAH) could have been listened as 't hyl' (ELYAH TAH, In Aramaic: COME, ELIAH! That???s what people heard: ???He???s CALLING Elijah???).

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Fwx0b[/font]

Ab. Valentin
Vsanzcm Wrote:1) Jesus was praying the Psalm 22 (probably He recited it completely, in Hebrew more likely).

Saying it in Hebrew would be an impossibility with all of the Bible texts that survive today to bear witness. "Shvaq" is not a Hebrew verb, and shvaq, unlike "`azeb" in the Hebrew, does not mean "forsake."

Vsanzcm Wrote:I think however that the ???confusion??? of those who listened Jesus (Mt 27:47: "He's calling Elijah.") could be well explained if we have this in mind:
1) In His agony, Jesus probably pronounced the words not very clearly or stammering intermittently.
2) In the same Psalm 22, verse 11 there are two words that could be easily misunderstood:
ht' yl' ym' ??Xbm ??xrm ytklHh ??ylv
Note that final words ht' yl' (???ELY ???ATAH) could have been listened as 't hyl' (ELYAH TAH, In Aramaic: COME, ELIAH! That???s what people heard: ???He???s CALLING Elijah???).

Elijah's name is not "Elyah" but "Eleeyahu" as per pronunciation of the time. In Aramaic, however, it was "Eleeyo" closer to "Elee". This shows, additionally, that he was speaking in Aramaic, not Hebrew.

Shlomo,
-Steve-o
Shlama Akhi Steve:
Thanks for your expert???s precisions. It should be necessary to find some Targum of this particular Psalm. Is there any place where it could be found? (I mean in the WWW. Cal maybe? Or: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tulane.edu/~ntcs/tgtext.htm">http://www.tulane.edu/~ntcs/tgtext.htm</a><!-- m --> , I???ll check it out. If you know another link, please let me know it).
However, I don???t think that ???to say it in Hebrew would be an impossibility???. Weren???t the Scriptures read in Hebrew at the Synagogues at that time (even if people spoke Aramaic in the street)? It is supposed also that pious Jews ???and Maran Eshoa was one of them???learned by heart and recited part of the Scriptures, especially Psalms in their prayers.
You???re right that is more likely that He recited this one in Aramaic while He was in the Cross, as the first phrase recorded by the Evangelists should prove. The verb [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Qb4 [/font]anyway could happen to be the targumic translation of the Hebrew bzv, since one of it???s meaning is ???to forsake???. As a matter of fact, that???s the verb used by POT to translate this verse.
I know that Elijah???s name was really ???Eleeyahu??? as you correctly recall, often abbreviated in ???Eleeyah??? (as ???Mattay??? < ???Mattanyahu???, etc).

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Fwx0b[/font]
Ab. Valentin
Akhi Valentin wrote:

Quote:If you know another link, please let me know it).

Shlama Akhi Valentin,

At the CAL site they're giving lexical records for all the words in a verse on one page now so you don't have to click on one word at a time anymore!! After you click on "Search the CAL Database" click on "Text Browse."
Click on the circle beside "Late Jewish Literary Aramaic" and hit "Submit Query." The second entry on the list will be "81002 TgPs (Targum Psalms)." All 150 Psalms are in a box with a scrollbar. After you choose one of the Psalms, it will take you to a page that says "Click on a verse number for its lexical analysis"

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey
Shlama Steve and Akhai (And Larry especially: I???ll see that later):
Take a look to what I have found: a Targum translation of Ps 22,2

Translation by Edward M. Cook
(<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tulane.edu/~ntcs/tgtext.htm">http://www.tulane.edu/~ntcs/tgtext.htm</a><!-- m -->)
???My God, my God, why have you LEFT-ME-FAR-FROM-MY-REDEMPTION????

(The ???-??? are mine, just to show the relationship)
Note that this author relates ???left me??? (yntqbH) with the next ???far from my redemption???. BTW this Targum uses the same Aramaic verb [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Qb4 [/font] (somebody surprised?) that Peshitta applies to render the Hebrew bzv. The same coincidence ocurs ???nothing odd??? with ynqrwp ??m > ytvwHym .

ynqrwp ??m qyxr yntqbH lwXm hm yl' / yhl'

ytvwHym qwxr yntbzv hml yl' yl'

Compare with Peshitta (juxtaposition of two verbs/phrases) :

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Ynqrwp Jm tqxr0w - Yntqb4 0nml Yhl0 Yhl0 [/font]

Peshitta text joins both hemistiches of the verse by means of[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)] w[/font]. I consider this is what is called ???PARAtactical Construction??? (parataxis: a phrase just placed aside ??????para???-- the next = juxtaposition), a typical Semitic feature (filtered in the Greek regularly: KAI), but to be rendered in a more ???logical??? (or ???SYNtactical) way. So I think that Peshitta verse could also be translated in a way similar to that Mr. Cook does with the Targumic version. I???m not quite sure, however, of the total discrepancy of this from the provoking ???Why have you forsaken me????. In any case, because of the Parallelism (Synonimic or better what Akhi Paul cleverly calls Climactic?), both hemistiches should be hold together. Opinions?

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)] Fwx0b[/font]
Ab. Valentin
I thought that the quote of Jesus on the cross was based on the Psalm:

eli eli lama azavtani? (Hebrew) Ps. 22.1

What is the Aramaic of this verse in older Syriac versions of the Jewish Bible (or in Targumim of the Psalms from earlier centuries)? How would this play into the situation?

Shlama (Shalom),
Jason
please, reply to: jason at hareplay dot com - <!-- e --><a href="mailto:jason@hareplay.com">jason@hareplay.com</a><!-- e -->