Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Diatessaron FAQ
Now that's an excellent and fair treatment! You even made the effort to say that it was used in Syria, and made no mention about Persia and the Church of the East (in Persia!)

The only bone I have to pick with it is your mention of Aphrahat. So far, you have given no examples of Aphrahat quoting the Diatesseron. None whatsoever.

You only gave one example of his supposed quote of Old Scratch, which is completely subjective since the Aramaic word order is completely different - proving that Aphrahat was freely paraphrasing rather than quoting anything, let alone Old Scratch. As I stated before - the Diatesseron and Old Scratch are two completely different things. And the quote you gave actually proves that Mar Aphrahat did NOT use the Diatesseron - since the words "before God" are not present in the earliest and most trustworthy translations of the Diatesseron.

Either Aphrahat used the Diatesseron, or the Old Scratch (or, as I believe the Peshitta with paraphrasing). But it cannot be both.

It seems that you have given up on the theory that Mar Aphrahat used Old Scratch (an impossible thing in the Persian Church (COE), which used only the Peshitta.)

Now you have to show me that he used the Diatesseron - a seemingly impossible task given your admission that the Diatesseron is completely theoretical and we have no trustworthy witness to it.

I don't think you can demonstrate Mar Aphrahat's reliance on either the Diatesseron or Old Scratch in any scientific manner. I anxiously await your response.
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
The Diatessaron FAQ - by yuku - 09-26-2003, 07:12 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 09-26-2003, 07:34 PM
[No subject] - by Rob Vanhoff - 09-27-2003, 09:57 AM
. - by drmlanc - 09-27-2003, 01:30 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 09-27-2003, 01:55 PM
[No subject] - by Rob Vanhoff - 09-27-2003, 02:14 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 09-27-2003, 06:50 PM
[No subject] - by yuku - 09-29-2003, 08:44 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 09-29-2003, 08:55 PM