Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans 2:1-3
Shlama Akhay,

From everything I can tell, akhan Paul gives his stamp of approval on something that Victor Alexander caught but Zorba missed in Romans 2:1-3. The word in the Greek text means 'to perform repeatedly or habitually' while the Aramaic text has a word meaning 'to revert back to something'.

Larry_Kelsey "Romans 2:1-3"
Jun-08-2003 at 08:49 AM (GMT3)

Quote:Shlama Akhay,

In the Peshitta Text of Romans chap. 2, vss. 1-3, there are some word meanings that were hidden from the eyes of the Greeks. The Aramaic words I'm referring to are "meth'hapakh" (#24666) in verses 1 and 3 and "meth'hapkhiyn" (#5326) in verses 2 and 3. For definitions, SEDRA has 'conduct, turn, return.' The key idea here is of 'reverting back to something' in the Ethpael verbal conjugation. This is attested to in Smith's Compendious Syriac Dictionary (Wow! What a great study aid! ) On page 105, under 'hpk,' there is considerable duality--"to turn about, back, round; to overturn; to go about, do, have to do, be occupied, employed, deal, live (with beith proclitic--of the place, occupation, or mode of life). On page 313 of Smith's Comp. we have two very kindred words to the ones used in the Peshitta--"meth'hapkinotha," defined as 'turning from, changing, wavering, retrogression, perversion.' The other word immediately above this one is "meth'hapkin-aiyth" and when used adverbially with the 'la' negative means 'straightforward, without turning back, without retrogression.'
Victor Alexander made the most of this observation in his translation--

1. Because of this, the Spirit is not speaking through you, O, human being, as you judge your companion, for against that which you judge, you shall also revert.
2. And we know that the judgment of God will be heavy against those who revert
3. What do you suppose then, O, human being, that you should judge those who revert thus, while you are also going back to the same thing, do you think you will run away from the judgment of God?

The base words in the Greek Text are 'prasso' (Strong's #4238) and 'poieo' (Strong's #4160). The difference between them is as follows:

4238 prasso pras'-so a primary verb; to "practise", i.e. perform repeatedly or habitually (thus differing from 4160, which properly refers to a single act); by implication, to execute, accomplish, etc.; specially, to collect (dues), fare (personally)

While Victor's "the Spirit is not speaking through you" might go 'across the grain' with akhan Paul, I thought he might appreciate his insight on 'reverting, turning back, etc.,

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey