Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillipians 2:1 (Part 2)
Shlama Akhay,

Here's something else that Zorba might not have handled well in this verse. The expression [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]0bwxb 0blb fmm [/font]-- Mamla b'Leba b'Khoba--has been translated "wholehearted love" by Lamsa. The KJV has "comfort of love" but I defer to akhan Paul on this. :?

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey
Shlama Akhay,

I deleted that post about the false alarm. Come to find out , it was a true alarm. Zorba mistranslated by missing "b'Leba"---"in heart",or as akhan Paul affirmed in an email he sent--"of the heart"

Quote:"Mamlea b'Leba b'Khuba" means "consolation of the heart, by (or, through) love". (sometimes the Beth proclitic is used kinda like the Daleth proclitic, in this case the first one is better translated "of")
I'm wondering if Zorba went along with the Aphel verbal conjugation, because according to the Compendious, that would make "consolation of love" a good translation.
The phrase "Mamlea b'Leba" in Aphel means "consolation" but in Peal (and that's what we're dealing with in Phil. 2:1 of the Peshitta) you would have to break it out because in Peal "Mamlea" means "consolation" all by itself (no construction needed). From where I'm sitting, Zorba going by Aphel instead of Peal is a real possibility.

Missing the import of "of the heart" is rather unfortunate for Zorba, no?

Quote:"Mamlea b'Leba b'Khuba" means "consolation of the heart, by (or, through) love".

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey