Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Thessalonians 3:14
Hi All!

Does anybody have an idea how the variant in Greek got to 'let him be noted/marked' σημειοῦσθε
while the aramaic is from the root, separate (the same from which pharisee comes), 'netpresh'

Thanks!
I think both words can be said to carry the sense of 'distinguish' as closest English translation. That is, Peshitta and the Greek versions say the same thing.

σημειόω without prefixes occurs once in OT: Psalm 4(5):7(6).

רַבִּ֥ים אֹמְרִים֮ מִֽי־יַרְאֵ֪נוּ֫ טֹ֥וב נְֽסָה־עָ֭לֵינוּ אֹ֨ור פָּנֶ֬יךָ יְהוָֽה׃
LXX: Πολλοὶ λέγουσιν, τίς δείξει ἡμῖν τὰ ἀγαθά; ἐσημειώθη ἐφ’ ἡμᾶς τὸ φῶς τοῦ προσώπου σου, κύριε.
Aquila & Theodotion translated ἔπαρον 'lift up, exalt', which almost all modern bibles seem to go with.
VL,Vg: Quis ostendit nobis bona [?] Signatum est super nos lumen vultus tui Domine:
CPA:  ❖  סגי אמרין מן יודע לן טבתא ❖ אתרשם עלינין נהרהון דאיפך מרא
(the fe was turned like G̈)
7a1:  …‍ܘܢܦܪܘܣ ܥܠܝܝ ܢܘܪܗܐ…

I don't know much Hebrew but it seems to me a plain reading of נְֽסָה as some form of נס"ה would make perfect sense. It is used in Exodus 15:25 and many other places. So we have some concordance of:

נס"ה — ἔπαιρω ֿ'exalt, distinguish'
מס"ה — πειράω / πειράζω 'try, test, attack'

.. where both the Hebrew and Greek derivatives can easily be confused in transmission. Maybe someone else on the forum know about the relation between these?
Traditional parsing gives it Strongs number 5375 thus assigning it to root נשׂ"א 'lift,carry,take'.

How would you parse the OT Peshitta ܢܦܪܘܣ?

My idea is: over centuries, and particularly with the industrialization, the ministry of distinguishing good and bad people has been centralised and monopolised to sovereigns, to the point where we no longer understand the ancient words. Libel and discrimination are illegal for individuals today in most places, so both language and translators run wide circles around the concept.
It was difficult to transcribe from 7a1 this time, so I attach a png-image of the verse (Ps 5:7) from  Walton's polyglot.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)