Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New(er) Online Peshitta Translation
Hey everyone,

Who here knows who translated the Eastern peshitta on this website,

https://theholyaramaicscriptures.weebly.com/

It looks like a very thorough project, but there's no information on who actually did it, their theological background, etc. I saw it linked to Christian Nash's Facebook, and I also did see a COE page link to back to it, which is good, but I'd still like to know more info! 

If there's another thread about it that I missed on here, please direct me as well, as I was not able to find anything.
ܠܐ ܒܥܒܕܐ ܕܙܕܝܩܘܬܐ ܕܥܒܕܢ ܐܠܐ ܒܪܚܡܘܗܝ ܕܝܠܗ ܐܚܝܢ ܒܣܚܬܐ ܕܡܘܠܕܐ ܕܡܢ ܕܪܝܫ ܘܒܚܘܕܬܐ ܕܪܘܚܐ ܕܩܘܕܫܐ
Wow, thanks for the link! I have no idea who's behind that one but it does look very nice and thorough!
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]
Yes, thanks for sharing that link Luc.

That is translated directly from the Eastern Manuscripts themselves, as the introduction at the website states, which is a nice change. What I know of it is that it is being worked on by a team of international helpers around the world that have made many contributions through the years as a free online edition. There is an open and public request made there at the site for anyone who wants to help, and those who may have any suggestions for improvements and or corrections, are being asked to submit them to the contact page. According to the notices there, a final proofing is on going of the entire work before a printed edition is produced.

I reached out via the website to see who put this translation together, and I received the following response...

"Thank you for your kind words, Nimrod. I am happy you found the website and it is a blessing to people. This project to the effort of a number of people who have been helping with it for 10 years now, and it is hoped when the final proofing is completed there can be a printed edition made available for those who have wanted one. This is an online edition that is available for all to read and study, and everyone who does so are encouraged to let us know if there might be anything that needs to be corrected, or any suggestions to make it better. We would love your help in this project.

As for the names of those who are sponsoring and managing this project, they wish to remain anonymous so there is no credit given to them, or any strife about who they are. We have seen time after time that translations of The Holy Scriptures are maligned because someone doesn't like the person or the Church the person, or persons are members of. And this takes the focus off the translation and Holy Scriptures, and puts it one the persons doing the work. It causes much strife, and leads people into the sin of slander. We want to avoid that. I hope you can understand.

We love The Aramaic Scriptures...The Peshitta, and believe that the Eastern Text, as used by The Church of the East is the original form, as given from The Apostles in the 1st century. This is a labor of love and we encourage any well meaning help to make this edition as good as it can be made.

Shlama"

Since they seeming sent a link to the Assyrian Church of the East Mar Zaia Cathedral Youth Association, which is in Modesto, my inclination would be that it is an endeavor put forth from someone or a team based in California (but that is pure speculation). I get their point in wanting to stay anonymous, but that also makes it harder to "legitimize" the translation without having an understanding of the source author(s) and editor(s). In short, if Professor Joe or Jane Doe wants to help "validate" this translation (for the good of the masses), they don't have a point of reference to go to for any questions, concerns, etc.
Nimrod, you said "harder to "legitimize" the translation without having an understanding of the source author(s) and editor(s)." and... "In short, if Professor Joe or Jane Doe wants to help "validate" this translation (for the good of the masses), they don't have a point of reference to go to for any questions, concerns, etc."

I say that the best way to legitimize a translation isn't by knowing who the persons are, but rather, what their translations say. And we can check that out easy enough by simply checking it ourselves to see if the translations are accurate or not, and they provide a link to a study tool to do just that on each page looks like, which is very helpful.

We have Lamsa's translation to read and check too, and though he, being an apparent authority of repute, we notice many deviations in his translation from the Eastern Peshitta text that he is said to have translated from. And his translations are not always true to the Aramaic text, sometime much more with the King James Version of the Greek Scriptures. And thus. I would much rather have an anonymous translation that is accurate, than an inaccurate one from a known person of some status and recognition.

Also, I think it is great that they are open and willing to consider any correction or suggestions to help make that translation/transliteration better. If we see anything that needs corrected we can simply send them a message from their site, as you did. That is good to know. Thanks for sharing that response.
Yes, thank you both!!

I'd be very curious about what you think Thirdwoe after browsing key passages and having a closer look, because I know you have done quite an in-depth look at the Peshitta, particularly noting the distinctiveness of the Eastern family of manuscripts. So far I am personally very impressed, and I do think that there is at least some affiliation with the Church of the East (not directly, but there's a few clues I think that maybe some members are involved) and that makes me happy Smile
ܠܐ ܒܥܒܕܐ ܕܙܕܝܩܘܬܐ ܕܥܒܕܢ ܐܠܐ ܒܪܚܡܘܗܝ ܕܝܠܗ ܐܚܝܢ ܒܣܚܬܐ ܕܡܘܠܕܐ ܕܡܢ ܕܪܝܫ ܘܒܚܘܕܬܐ ܕܪܘܚܐ ܕܩܘܕܫܐ