Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think John 6:9 originally had:
"for so many"?
"for all them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "for all them."

John 6:9 - "Here is a boy who has five barley loaves and two fish, but what is it for so many?"
what is that - literally: 'what are these'.
so many - this is the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR. The reading of the Aramean Peshitta reads: 'for all of them'.

Diatessaron 18:34
Here is a lad having five loaves of barley and two fishes: but this amount, what is it for all these?

John 6:9
(Etheridge) There is here a certain youth, who hath with him five cakes of barley and two fishes; but these what are they for these all?
(Murdock) There is a lad here, who hath with him five cakes of barley, and two fishes; but what are these for all those [people]?
(Lamsa) There is a boy here, who has with him five barley loaves and two fishes; but what are these for all of them?
(KJV) There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?

===================================
Do you think John 6:18 originally had "against them"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "against them."

John 6:18 - The sea raged riotously against them for a strong wind was blowing.
against them - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. This text is missing from the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 18:49
And the sea was stirred up against them by reason of a violent wind that blew.

Do you think John 6:22 originally had:
"except that one whereinto his disciples entered"?
"but that his disciples were gone away alone"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "except that one whereinto his disciples entered," and neither one has
"but that his disciples were gone away alone."

John 6:22 - The next day the crowd standing across the sea saw that there was no boat other than the one where his disciples had entered and that Jesus had not got on the boat with his disciples.
where his disciples had entered - this text is part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and the Greek MHT and TR, but it is absent from the Greek text of the NA28.
got in the boat - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In reading the Greek NA28, MHT and TR it follows: "but that his disciples had only gone away".

Diatessaron 19:16
And on the day after that, the multitude which was standing on the shore of the sea
saw that there was there no other ship save that into which the disciples had gone up,
and that Jesus went not up into the ship with his disciples
(but there were other ships from Tiberias near the place where they ate the bread when Jesus blessed it):

John 6:22
(Etheridge) The day after the people that stood on the opposite shore of the sea
saw that there was not another vessel there except that into which the disciples had ascended,
and that Jeshu had not entered with his disciples into the vessel;
(Murdock) And the next day, the multitude, who had remained on the other side of the sea,
saw that there was no other ship there, except that in which the disciples embarked,
and that Jesus did not embark in that ship with his disciples;
(KJV) The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea
saw that there was none other boat there, save that one whereinto his disciples were entered,
and that Jesus went not with his disciples into the boat,
but that his disciples were gone away alone;

John 6:23
(Etheridge) but there came other boats from Tiberios near the place, where they did eat bread when Jeshu had blessed.
(Murdock) yet that other ships had come from Tiberias, near to the place where they ate the bread when Jesus blessed [it].
(KJV) (Howbeit there came other boats from Tiberias nigh unto the place where they did eat bread, after that the Lord had given thanks: )

Do you think John 6:23 originally had:
"Jesus"? "the Lord"? (if 'Jesus,' do you consider 'the Lord' a theological embellishment in Greek mss.?)

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Jesus."

John 6:23 - (But) other boats came from Tiberias, near where they had eaten the bread that Jesus had blessed.
Jesus - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR is: the Lord '.

Diatessaron 19:17
(but there were other ships from Tiberias near the place where they ate the bread when Jesus blessed it):

Do you think John 6:26 originally had:
"eaten bread"?
"eaten from/of bread"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "eaten bread."

John 6:26 - Jesus answered them and said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you are looking for Me, not because you have seen signs, but because you have eaten bread and are satisfied.
have eaten bread - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'having eaten from the loaves'.

Diatessaron 19:20
Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye have not sought me because of your seeing the signs, but because of your eating the bread and being satisfied.

John 6:26
(Etheridge) Jeshu answered and said to them, Amen, amen, I tell you, You seek me, not because you considered the signs, but because you did eat the bread, and were satisfied.
(Murdock) Jesus replied and said to them: Verily, verily, I say to you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the signs, but because ye ate the bread and were satisfied.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) Yeshua answered and said to them, “Timeless truth I speak to you: you seek me, not because you saw the signs but because you ate the bread and were filled.”

(KJV) Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
(Berean Literal) Jesus answered them and said, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you seek Me not because you saw signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were satisfied.
(Young's Literal) Jesus answered them and said, 'Verily, verily, I say to you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw signs, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were satisfied;

Do you think John 6:34 originally had:
"Our Lord"?
"Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Our Lord."

John 6:34 - They said to Him, "Our Lord, always give us this bread!"
Our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 19:28
They said unto him, Our Lord, give us at all times this bread.

Do you think John 6:37 originally had:
"my Father"?
"the Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Father."

John 6:37 - Everyone who has been given Me by my Father will come to Me, and whoever comes to Me I will not cast out.
my Father - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Father'.

Diatessaron 19:31
And all that my Father hath given to me cometh unto me; and whosoever cometh unto me I shall not cast him forth without.

Do you think John 6:45 originally had:
"who heard it from the Father and learned from Him"?
"who heard and learned from the Father"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "who heard it from the Father and learned from Him."

John 6:45 - It is written in the prophets, "They will all be taught by GOD!" Everyone then who has heard it from the Father and has learned from Him, comes to Me.
who heard it from the Father and learned from Him - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "who heard and learned from the Father."

Diatessaron 19:39
It is written in the prophet, They shall all be the taught of God. Every one who heareth from the Father now, and learneth of him, cometh unto me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-07-2020, 09:40 PM