Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think Luke 7:44 originally had "head"?

Neither the Peshitta nor the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "head."

Luke 7:44 - (Then) He turned to the woman and said to Simeon, “Do you see this woman? I have entered your house, but you have not given me water for my feet, but she has washed my feet with her tears and dried them with the hair of her (head).
main - the word is missing in the text of the Aramaic Peshitta, but not in the text of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 15:5
And he turned to that woman, and said to Simon, Dost thou see this woman? I entered into thy dwelling, and thou gavest me not water to wash my feet: but this woman hath bathed my feet with her tears, and dried them with her hair.

==============================================
Do you think Luke 7:48 originally had "woman"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "woman."

Luke 7:48 - (Then) He said to her, "Woman, your sins are forgiven."
Woman - this word is part of the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The word does not appear in the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 15:9
And he said unto that woman, Thy sins are forgiven thee.

Do you think Luke 8:5 originally had "of heaven"?

Neither the Peshitta nor the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "of heaven."

Luke 8:5 - “A sower went out to sow his seed. As he sowed, (a part) fell by the side of the road and it was trampled and a bird ate (it).
and a bird ate [(‹het›)] - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "and the birds of heaven ate it."

Diatessaron 16:25
The sower went forth to sow: and when he sowed, some fell on the beaten highway; and it was trodden upon, and the birds ate it.

Do you think Luke 8:34 originally had: "villages"? "fields/land"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "villages."

Luke 8:34 - When the shepherds saw what had happened, they fled and told it in the city and in the villages.
in the villages - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'on the fields', or: 'on the land'.

Diatessaron 11:50
And when the keepers saw what happened, they fled, and told those in the cities and villages.

Do you think Luke 8:41 originally had "and he was"?

Neither the Peshitta nor the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "and he was."

Luke 8:41 - And, behold, a man named Jairus, ruler of the synagogue, fell down at the feet of Jesus, and besought him to come home to him,
And see .... synagogue - for the word 'superior' in this reading of the Aramean Peshitta it literally says: 'head'. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "And behold, a man named Jairus came, and he was ruler of the synagogue."

Diatessaron 12:7
And a man named Jairus, the chief of the synagogue, fell before the feet of Jesus, and besought him much, and said unto him, I have an only daughter, and she is come nigh unto death; but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-23-2020, 11:29 PM