Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
When Lk 3:18 was originally written, did it have:
exhorting and preaching?
teaching and preaching?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have teaching and preaching.

Luke 3:18 - He also taught many other things and proclaimed the Good News to the people.
He also taught many other things - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: "He also gave many incentives."

Luke 3:18
(Etheridge) But many other things he also taught and preached to the people.
(Murdock) And many other things also, he taught and proclaimed to the people.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) Also he taught many other things, and he preached The Good News to the people.

Diatessaron 4:27
And other things he taught and preached among the people.

(Berean Literal) Therefore indeed exhorting many other things, he was preaching the good news to the people.
(HCSB) Then, along with many other exhortations, he proclaimed good news to the people.
(KJV) And many other things in his exhortation preached he unto the people.
(Young's Literal) And, therefore, indeed with many other things, exhorting, he was proclaiming good news to the people,

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/luke/3-18.htm
3870/ parakalōn/ παρακαλῶν/ exhorting
2097/ euēngelizeto/ εὐηγγελίζετο/ he was preaching the good news to

3870. parakaleó
https://biblehub.com/greek/3870.htm
Original Word: παρακαλέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: parakaleó
Phonetic Spelling: (par-ak-al-eh'-o)
Definition: to call to or for, to exhort, to encourage
Usage: (a) I send for, summon, invite, (b) I beseech, entreat, beg, © I exhort, admonish, (d) I comfort, encourage, console.
HELPS Word-studies
3870 parakaléō (from 3844 /pará, "from close-beside" and 2564 /kaléō, "to call") – properly, "make a call" from being "close-up and personal." 3870 /parakaléō ("personally make a call") refers to believers offering up evidence that stands up in God's court.
[3870 (parakaléō), the root of 3875 /paráklētos ("legal advocate"), likewise has legal overtones.]

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-18-2020, 11:46 AM