Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ephesians 3:9
Hello all, 

My question regards the Aramaic of Ephesians 3:9. I have found a difference (with the help of a previous post by Larry Kelsey) in the ASV and its updated version (the uNAS) against the KJV and its updated version (the NKJV).

The ASV has: and to make all men see what is the dispensation of the mystery which for ages hath been hidden in God who created all things;

The uNAS has: and to bring to light what is the administration of the mystery which for the ages has been hidden in God who created all things;

However, 

The KJV has: And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery which from the beginning of the world hath been hid from God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

The NKJV has: and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ;

The Greek word for "administration" (in uNAS) and "dispensation" (in ASV) is οἰκονομία (oikonomia).

The Greek word for “fellowship” (in KJV) is a similar (but different Greek word) κοινωνία (koinonia).

This Greek word (οἰκονομία [oikonomia]) is also found in Ephesians 1:10, 3:2 in the KJV/NKJV as well as in both the ASV and the uNAS. Clearly, the context of Ephesians 1:10, 3:2, and indeed 3:9 requires the word "dispensation" not "fellowship". 

I wonder if "fellowship" in Ephesians 3:9 as found in Erasmus'/Stephanus' Greek is a mistranslation from the Aramaic word "dispensation". Do the words for "fellowship" and "dispensation" ("administration") look alike in Aramaic?

Thanks,

Keith
The meaning of the word "fellowship" in KJV is probably sense no. 6 in Webster's 1913 dictionary:

Quote:6. (Arith.) The rule for dividing profit and loss among partners

... in combination with the sense of Old East Nordic "felag" + -skap/-ship, that is a legacy practice for social & economic contracts that everybody in society tried to enforce. Would this definition still seem to be different from the Aramaic?
Hi Keith,

The Greek manuscript that the translators of the KJV mainly used for their English translation has the Greek word for "fellowship" κοινωνία. It seems to me that this manuscript copy, and perhaps back to the original copy of that Greek manuscript family has a mistake there. In context it makes no sense to have the word κοινωνία "fellowship" there.

I don't know how what certainly looks like a mistake got in that manuscript family, but I don't think it comes from a mistranslation of the Aramaic word found in the Aramaic NT.

Here are the Aramaic words that are rendered "Fellowship" and "Administration" as found in the Aramaic NT.
ܫܘܬܦܘܬܐ
fellowship
ܡܕܒܪܢܘܬܐ
administration