Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fruit of the Spirit
I am doing a study on the fruit of the Spirit, and I am hoping someone can help me understand something.  The word often translated "patience" (2:12715 ܡܓܪܬ, Greek is makrothymia) is, as I understand it, better translated as "long suffering", which I think is referring to having patience with people.  The word most often translated "self control" (2:13789 ܡܣܝܒܪܢܘܬܐ) could also be "patient" or "endurance".  The Aramaic word used here, when translated to Greek, is most often G5281 (hupomonē), but the Greek in this verse is G1466 (egkrateia).  G5281 is a word that seems to be used for patience with things or circumstances, and my question is whether that is the intent of the Aramaic word used here.

Maybe a better way to ask this is what you would say the opposite of 2:12715 ܡܓܪܬ and 2:13789 ܡܣܝܒܪܢܘܬܐ would be.

*I believe the original language of the New Testament is Aramaic, but my knowledge of Aramaic is weak at best, and my study is often laborious.  Forgive my back and forth with Greek.  I am just trying to cross reference to better understand.
Indeed, translating μακροθυμια as peace would be criminal. It is the previous word ειρηνη that is translated peace and in Aramaic you are certainly acquainted with ܫܠܡܐ, again the previous word in the sentence meaning peace.
I obviously made a mistake - I meant to type "patience" instead of "peace".  I am correcting that in the original post now.
When it comes to using Greek on this forum, you don't need to worry a thing unless you see me getting banned.  Big Grin
I really hope you will get an answer from someone who knows Aramaic semantics. While we are waiting:

CAL connects ܡܓܪܬ with the verb ܢܓܪ. It gives to endure as the first meaning, but for the Aramaic word, BDB gives be long, prolong, protract, endure, flow, stream. For Hebrew נגר pour, flow, run.

The expression ܐܓܪ ... ܪܘܚܐ  occurs in Matthew 18:26,29.

Then there is Psalm 76 (77): 2(3)
Quote:ביום צרתי אדני דרשתי
εν ημερα θλιψεως μου τον θεον εξεζητησα
ידי לילה נגרה
ταις χερσιν μου νυκτος εναντιον αυτου
--
ולא תפוג 
και ουκ ηπατηθεν
מאנה הנחם נפשי
απηνηνατο παρακληθηναι η ψυχη μου

On the other hand, there is striking similarity between the words ܡܓܪܬ and μακρος, which has IE √ *makro- or *məkro. Similar words in IE languages:
מאגער (Yiddish) slim/lean/thin
mager (German, Nordic) meagre/slim/lean/thin
macer (Latin) lean/meagre  "Of inanimate things: thin, poor, barren" — Glossa

Could ܡܓܪܬ be Indo-european?