Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mentors
Hello  My Name is Lisa Rose.  I have been trying to learn Aramaic for about a year and have made some progress.  I  was wondering if the is a person that be able to answer questions about certain letters and grammar. I am really interested in reading and writing the language.  I have been on other web sites and it is hard to get a consistent answer.  

Thank you  Lisa Rose
(11-12-2015, 01:44 PM)lisarose Wrote: Hello  My Name is Lisa Rose.  I have been trying to learn Aramaic for about a year and have made some progress.  I  was wondering if the is a person that be able to answer questions about certain letters and grammar. I am really interested in reading and writing the language.  I have been on other web sites and it is hard to get a consistent answer.  

Thank you  Lisa Rose

Greetings Lisa. Are you interested in Syriac, Biblical Aramaic? Also, which script, Ashuri, Estrangelo, Serto, Eastern? Please give more detail. Thanks. All the best with your studies.
Hello, Thank you for getting back to me. I been driving myself a little crazy trying to find info. I am interested in biblical Aramaic. As far as the script, I was thinking should it be square? This is where I start getting confused. I want to be able to read biblical text. Can you guide me?

Lisa Rose
(11-14-2015, 02:26 AM)lisarose Wrote: Hello,  Thank you for getting back to me.  I been driving myself a little crazy trying to find info.  I am interested in biblical Aramaic.  As far as the script, I was thinking should it be square?  This is where I start getting confused.  I want to be able to read biblical text.  Can you guide me?

Lisa Rose

Greetings Lisa Rose,
A few suggestions:
1. jesusspokearamaic.com - a subscription site where Ewan MacLeod provides beginner Aramaic/Syriac, excellent introduction, especially to the scripts - site is regularly updated
2. eTeacher, for a cost, has Biblical Aramaic classes online with native speaking teachers and students around the globe. Excellent but pricey.
3. Check out Amazon.com if books work for you - Miles Van Pelt (Zondervan) has a Biblical Aramaic book with videos available. Caution, he goes fast and expects you not to continue without mastering each chapter. I don't think he is a native speaker.
4. Michael Heiser occasionally offers an online Beginning Biblical Aramaic course with some excellent videos.
5. Memrise.com is a free place to go to practice vocabulary (many languages) via flash cards. Some have audio! Search under Aramaic and you will find several.
5. I need to hear things, so I prefer to listen as well as read. - www.aoal.org has all chapters read by a native speaker.
Such a worthy pursuit.  All the best to you, Shlama
Shelley
(11-14-2015, 03:43 PM)sbibeau Wrote:
(11-14-2015, 02:26 AM)lisarose Wrote: Hello,  Thank you for getting back to me.  I been driving myself a little crazy trying to find info.  I am interested in biblical Aramaic.  As far as the script, I was thinking should it be square?  This is where I start getting confused.  I want to be able to read biblical text.  Can you guide me?

Lisa Rose

Greetings Lisa Rose,
A few suggestions:
1. jesusspokearamaic.com - a subscription site where Ewan MacLeod provides beginner Aramaic/Syriac, excellent introduction, especially to the scripts - site is regularly updated
2. eTeacher, for a cost, has Biblical Aramaic classes online with native speaking teachers and students around the globe. Excellent but pricey.
3. Check out Amazon.com if books work for you - Miles Van Pelt (Zondervan) has a Biblical Aramaic book with videos available. Caution, he goes fast and expects you not to continue without mastering each chapter. I don't think he is a native speaker.
4. Michael Heiser occasionally offers an online Beginning Biblical Aramaic course with some excellent videos.
5. Memrise.com is a free place to go to practice vocabulary (many languages) via flash cards. Some have audio! Search under Aramaic and you will find several.
5. I need to hear things, so I prefer to listen as well as read. - www.aoal.org has all chapters read by a native speaker.
Such a worthy pursuit.  All the best to you, Shlama
Shelley
Thank you Shelley for all the information.  I will check out each item that you helped me with.  Eteacher said I have to know how to speak basic Hebrew.  Well that leaves me out.  I wish I lived by a temple, because the Rabbi said he would help me.  But it is far.  But for all your help, I can't say enough thanks.  I believe that the people that want to learn this and more are driven by God.
Lisa Rose  Heart   Bless you
(11-12-2015, 01:44 PM)lisarose Wrote: Hello  My Name is Lisa Rose.  I have been trying to learn Aramaic for about a year and have made some progress...  
Lisa, I would suggest the following books to get you started:

A Short Grammar of Biblical Aramaic, by Alger F. Johns
An Introduction to Aramaic, by Frederick E. Greenspahn
A Grammar of Biblical Aramaic, by Franz Rosenthal

All three books and many other resources are available at:

http://www.learnassyrian.com/assyrianlib.../language/

You can view them online or download them to your computer by right clicking and choosing 'save as'. Note Rosenthal's book does not presuppose a working knowledge of Hebrew.
Thank you so much for your help.  I am looking into everything you suggested right now.  
Bless you
Lisa Rose   Heart