Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Error in Peshitta 1Co. 5:8? - Leavened Bread
Shlama brothers,

"How do your timelines compare to this graphic?"

The chart is beautiful, and I see that a lot of work went into it. But can you help me understand why it says, "Nisan 13/14 - Additional allowed Passover Day" and then it has an asterisk that goes to a footnote: "Calendar adjustment by calendar court"? Who is the "calendar court?"

Again, a lot of work was put into the chart, but where did they get the idea to say that there was an additional day for Passover, and specifically that the additional day was *before* the Torah-based requirement of eating the lamb on the 14th of Abib (i.e. the 13th) instead of the 15th?

At least, scholars like Adam Clarke (on Joh 18:28) cite Jewish sources like the Talmud to suggest that the Passover lambs could be slaughtered *later* on the closing of the 15th of Abib, which is one possible explanation for why the rulers didn't want to get defiled before eating the so-called "Passover" in Joh 18:28. I don't necessarily believe that this interpretation is the best one, but it reconciles Joh 18:28 with the synoptics.

I admit that my current timeline begins with the understanding that the phrase "first of Unleavened Bread" (Mat 26:17), or just "the day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread" (Luk 22:7) must--according to Torah--be the 14th of Abib. And this is supportable by what I showed previously from Exodus 12:15--viz., that the phrase "first day" can legitimately refer to the daylight portion of the 14th of Abib; and this is how I believe that Matthew and Luke intended it.

But Yeshua hadn't yet eaten the Passover in Mat 26:17 / Luk 22:17, and so these verses must be referring to the daylight portion of the 14th. The only thing that could change my understanding of that is a legitimate historical reference revealed that the entire nation of Israel chose to keep Passover a day early that year (as your chart seems to allow for).

But I doubt that is the case, and I've never read of that from any source anywhere. After all, it would make Yeshua a sinner, because the Torah commands Passover to be kept on the close of the 14th of Abib, and so I doubt he would put up with such nonsense, even if the Pharisees or Sanhedrin had chosen to do so. Maybe there is something to your chart's "calendar court" that I'm not aware of. But otherwise, it looks like an unacceptable error to claim that an additional day was given for Passover on the 13th of Abib (?)

Anyway, let me know what you think. Here is what I'm seeing so far from Matthew's Gospel, without any gaps between the verses.

Mat 26:17-19 (afternoon / daylight period of the 14th of Abib)
Mat 26:20-29 (late evening of the 14th of Abib)
Mat 26:30-75 (beginning / dark period of the 15th of Abib)
Mat 27:1-31 (dawn to early afternoon of the 15th of Abib)
Mat 27:32-45 (mid-afternoon to early evening of the 15th of Abib)
Mat 27:46-56 (about 3:00PM on the 15th of Abib)
Mat 27:57-61 (late evening on the 15th of Abib)
Mat 27:62-66 (16th of Abib)
Mat 28:1-15 (dawn of the 17th of Abib)

Shlama,
Thomas

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible Error in Peshitta 1Co. 5:8? - Leavened Bread - by Thomas - 12-11-2015, 08:58 AM