Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
agapao and phileo - a split word? hopefully...
If the doctrine of a significant difference between the words is indeed bogus, then I don't think the lack of randomness in the Greek words found in the various texts theoretically derived from the Peshitta it troublesome to Peshitta primacy. It simply indicates that the original Greek text was written early, and that there was one primary text from which all of the rest of the Greek evolved. Peshitta primacy does theoretically allow for the possibility of simultaneous, separate translations. But, this issue is probably good evidence that this is not the case.

Instead, I think it's likely that the Greek texts were done under the same methodology that Josephus claims his book was translated: He learned a bit of Greek, then sat down with a Greek expert and explained what he meant as he translated from Aramaic. This also explains why the only difference that I've noticed you found is in "D", as western text, since they were scribed much later than the eastern Greek texts (this is not in dispute).

Though I am very impressed by the Peshitta primacy argument, one of the things I've come to appreciate through the last three months of study is how SIMILAR both the Greek and Peshitta are. I'm not aware of one major point of Christian doctrine that is changed if the Peshitta is primary. If there is one, please point me to it. I think that Peshitta primacy adds some valuable flavor to the text, and clears up some otherwise weird or awkward phrases. It is obvious to me that it produces a superior English translation. But, the major pillars of theology stand.

If there is a significant difference in the concepts of "love", I don't have a satisfactory answer right now. It's possible that if the original Peshitta author consulted on the original translation of his texts in to Greek, he discovered more options in Greek than were available in his language. It's possible that discovering this, he asked that this extra level of clarity be added to the Greek text. That doesn't mean that the Peshitta wasn't first, or that Greek does a better job overall of communicating what God wanted us to know. Or, maybe we'll discover something subtle about the Aramaic language which is not understood right now, and which might have indicated to the Greek translators which they word they should have chosen. In the case of Greek, there have been some significant advancements in the last few hundred years in understanding how to differentiate between Greek dialects. It think it would be presumptuous to think that we know as much right now about Aramaic as the people who lived in the first century did.

Regardless, all of your efforts on the topic are very valuable and I hope they will be embraced by the mainstream. I wouldn't expect it in the very near future, if for no other reason than you still have several generations of seminary students who beat their brains out learning Greek, and they won't be happy to learn it was at least something of a waste of their time.

Keep up the good work.
Hoi,

There are in ARamaic, also two words for 'love' it's
habib and rahim. But agapao and phileo are no splitwords. It is just that Zorba, one time choose the one word, the other time the other for no good reason.

But, these are no important differences.

However, I do not agree that the Greek translation difference, means just some details, word choices.
For instance, it's ok to scourge or beat your children in name of love, but according to aramaic, 'take apart' for instruction.

Another issue is the divine source. A divine source, would not make Jesus visit a leeper in his house, while still calling him a 'leeper' In fact, he was a potter. Among other things, the Aramaic source, does not say that God made people deaf and blind for the truth. The Aramaic sais that people did it themselves. Quit an important thing, when we talk about the love of God, while God himself, CAUSED the Jews to be deaf and blind for the Messiah?

The most important thing, in doctrine is that the Aramaic text, shows us that Jeshua is YHWH (Mar-Yah)
drmlanc Wrote:If there is not one verse where this variant exists, we are in trouble. Then it would be a strong argument for Greek primacy. .

I dont think it follows that this is a strong case for greek primacy.
For it to be a strong argument, there must be some need. There is necessity that in every istance of a possible split it would have occurred.
What would be expected IMHO is that in some possible instances we splits and in other possible instances we dont.
This is what we see when we compare the greek and Aramaic.