Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I use the pronunciation guide in the lexicon at peshitta.org?
I have studied the information and links you provided and have learned much borota, thx. I am still struggling with how to say these words though. As I mentioned, the word for "many" is [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]00ygs[/font] which the lexicon reports is pronounced: "SaG'iYoAA".

Is the sound for "Sa" something like "sah", or "sa" where the vowel "a" is short, as in "paw"? Or does this syllable sound like "say"? I have the same lack of understanding of the other elements of "SaG'iYoAA". The wikipedia .ogg site you referenced did not seem to have a way to say any more than the one character discussed, at least I haven't been able to discover how to do it.

I was hoping to produce a video for my own use along the lines of one I have produced of a Greek Lord's Prayer at: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRIhEc8qvk">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRIhEc8qvk</a><!-- m -->

I had no idea it would be so difficult to learn how to pronounce a few sentences in aramaic, and yet rather than be discouraged, I am more determined than ever.

While perusing this forum I have found much information on the text and meaning, but very little on the pronouncing and speaking; is this so, and if so, why? I'm thinking, in my ignorance, that there has been much more research on the written word than on the spoken...

Do you know any of the folks who created the lexicon at peshitta.org, or those that maintain it today?

Wouldn't it be great if I had a time machine where I could go back and get someone to read this for me (read left to right):
[font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Nyd dk Nysnl
lq4 9w4y 0mxl
<rbw 0cqw
bhyw Yhwdymltl
rm0w
wbs wlwk0
wnh yrgP
lq4w 0sk
Ydw0w
bhyw Jwhl rm0w
wbs wt40 hnm Jwklk
wnh Ymd 0qtydd Fdx
Plxd 00ygs
d40tm 0nqbw4l 0m+Yd
Nydb9Jwtywh Ynrkwdl[/font]

Messages In This Thread
Re: How do I use the pronunciation guide in the lexicon at peshitta.org? - by Tim - 12-27-2014, 02:30 PM