Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Aramaic Translation of the Eastern Peshitta
Thank you Zechariah,

I do plan on providing not only an English concrete meaning translation, but also a breakdown of that translation based on the letters of the word in the Lexical Concordance I am working on as well.

It will be something like this:

Take the word spelled 'aleph, taw, taw, nun, yod, chet, waw', translated 'refreshed', in Philemon verse 7.

For we have great joy and consolation, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by your love.
(Phm 1:7)

I translate this word as the concrete action 'sigh'.

This comes from the meaning of the marriage root letters, 'nun chet'.
Nun is a sprouted seed, which expresses the action 'to sprout'. A sprout continues the life of the plant it came from.
Chet is a wall or fence of some sort, which expresses the action 'to wall off'. A wall divides one thing from another.

A sigh is a continuous breathing out. Here in Philemon, this refreshment is a continuous breathing out, a sigh one makes when refreshed, relieved.

'Nun, chet, mem' expresses another type of continuous breathing out, a negative one, a sigh of regret. You can find this in Bereshiyt 6:6.

'Nun, chet, resh' expresses a continuous breathing out from over the mouth, a snort made from the nose. You can find this in Yermeyahu 8:16.

'Nun, chet, shin' expresses a different type of continuous breathing out away through the teeth, a hiss made from a serpent. You can find this in Bereshiyt 3:1.

No one seeing the words refresh, regret, snort, and hiss would ever see them as having any connection.

In my translation those same words will be expressed as 'sigh, sigh-up, sigh-over, and sigh-away'. Then, when someone understands the meanings that give rise to how I render them, they can then take them back to other translations and 'see' how and why those words are related by the same marriage root.

Ronen

Messages In This Thread
Re: Ancient Aramaic Translation of the Eastern Peshitta - by gregoryfl - 10-27-2014, 08:08 PM