Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Corinthians 12:7-9 weaknesses/infirmities
Quote:2Corinthians 12:7 9- 10 And, that I might not be uplifted by the excellency of the revelations, there was imparted to me a thorn in my flesh, the angel of Satan, to buffet me, that I might not be uplifted.
Respecting this, I thrice besought my Lord, that it might depart from me.
And he said to me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for my power is perfected in weakness. Gladly, therefore, will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of the Messiah may rest upon me. 2Corinthians Therefore I have pleasure in infirmities, in reproach, in afflictions, in persecutions, in distresses, which are for the Messiah's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong (Murdock).

Can anyone tell me from the Peshitta, if the same Aramaic word is behind both weaknesses and infirmities in the translation, or if they are two different words.

Is be[i] in [i]be lifted up, intrinsic to the text?

Is the Aramaic word for uplifted used elsewhere in the Peshitta and if there anything intrinsic in it that would denote pride?
It seems the Greek might be interpretted "rise above." Is it possible this could be, "That I might not rise above . . . "
Why would Satan not want Paul to become proud? Yet he would want Paul to not rise above! His visions would serve to encourage him and lift him up, help him to rise above.
And he said to me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for my power is perfected in weakness. Gladly, therefore, will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of the Messiah may rest upon me. Therefore I have pleasure in infirmities, in reproach, in afflictions, in persecutions, in distresses, which are for the Messiah's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong (Murdock).

The above blue words are all derived from the same root, which I interpret as being "to afflict". The root is K:R:H. Accordingly, this would be a more "literal" way to render the verse:

And he said to me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for my power is perfected in afflictedness. Gladly, therefore, will I glory in my afflictions, that the power of the Messiah may rest upon me. 2 Therefore I have pleasure in afflictions, in reproach, in constrictions, in persecutions, in distresses, which are for the Messiah's sake: for when I am afflicted, then am I strong (Murdock).
Sarah Wrote:
Quote:2Corinthians 12:7 9- 10 And, that I might not be uplifted by the excellency of the revelations, there was imparted to me a thorn in my flesh, the angel of Satan, to buffet me, that I might not be uplifted. (Murdock).

Is be[i] in [i]be lifted up, intrinsic to the text?

Is the Aramaic word for uplifted used elsewhere in the Peshitta and if there anything intrinsic in it that would denote pride?
It seems the Greek might be interpretted "rise above." Is it possible this could be, "That I might not rise above . . . "
Why would Satan not want Paul to become proud? Yet he would want Paul to not rise above! His visions would serve to encourage him and lift him up, help him to rise above.
Yes, the "be" in "be uplifted" is intrinsic to the form used in verse 12:7. This link should give you access to all the verses where this verb is used, probably over 50 times or so:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com/lexicon/lexeme.php?adr=1:2981&font=Estrangelo+Edessa&size=150">http://www.dukhrana.com/lexicon/lexeme. ... a&size=150</a><!-- m -->%

I'm not sure myself as to what significance the reference to Satan has in this verse, if much of any.

But I would opine that "heighten" might be a better way to translate the aphel verb form, mainly because the root (RM) is the word for "high" or "height", so it seems logical to me that "heighten" would be the causative verbal meaning.

"... of not I to be heightened ... ", most likely meaning "of not I to be high minded". See Romans 11:20 for an example of this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyze_verse.php?lang=en&verse=Romans+11:20&source=ubs&font=Estrangelo+Edessa&size=150">http://www.dukhrana.com/peshitta/analyz ... a&size=150</a><!-- m -->%
Thank you Jerry; that was helpful.