Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamsa's different translations of "L'mana shabaqthani"
IMO, a proper interpretation of the verse mostly hinges on how one interprets Sh-B-Q. Sh-B-Q is used in a wide array of contexts varying from "divorce" to "forgiveness". It's hard to think a single word could fit both such contexts, but if we start trying words like "relinquish" or "let pass", we start getting pretty close. For example, we could use those words to describe someone who "relinquishes" or "lets pass" his wife (divorces her), while at the same time use them to describe one who is able to "let pass" or "relinquish" another person's sins (forgive them). In addition to those words, words like "give leave" or "dismiss" also seem to fit most contexts; maybe "release" as well.

It's interesting that Mark himself qualifies "Iyl Iyl" (Eil Eil) as being; "My-God, my-God, to-what-this thou-relinquish-me?" As I recall, Matthew did not do this.

IMO, it is mostly a rhetorical question being asked. Using the types of words that fit most contexts, I think the question takes on this form:

My God, my God; to what this thou relinquish me?
... to what this thou give me leave?
... to what this thou dismiss me?
... to what this thou let me pass?
... to what this thou release me?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Lamsa's different translations of "L'mana shabaqthani" - by Jerry - 03-25-2014, 04:57 PM