Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lamsa's different translations of "L'mana shabaqthani"
Casdmo-

1. I cannot tell you why Lamsa wrote what he wrote except through the language he left. The problem is multiplied on a Lamsa site: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lamsabible.com/Lamsa/2_Mark/Mark15.htm">http://www.lamsabible.com/Lamsa/2_Mark/Mark15.htm</a><!-- m -->
Verse 34 reads "...Few this was I spared!".
a. The verse is SUPPOSED to read, "For this was I spared"
b. I E-Mailed the site and the response was that there were mistakes made in the scanning process. Talk about Scribal Errors! The acknowledged mistake has not been corrected on site.
c. Notice also that Lamsa has an exclamation mark at the end of the statement: "For this was I spared!". Very emphatic!

2. As always, my view is a...ummm...Minority View on this site. I am trying to always be on good behavior. This site is extremely interesting to me. It is an important site. Don't ever doubt that.

3. That said, let me state it this way:
Again, I do not know what Lamsa "presumed" when he used the words in verse 34 the way he did. From my research and "What I believe to be true" concerning the situation, Lamsa is precisely and exactly correct as far as he could go. "Why was my very LIFE spared years ago, only to come to an end here on this cross right now! For this was I spared!" might be a way of seeing it.

4. Paul Younan's translation is "My God my God why have you spared me". I appreciate this as well and have used it in my writings.

5. This will sound trivial to many here but I believe this verse is extremely profound in what it implies. The idea that God would "forsake" here must be either a complete misreading or an intentional redirection of meaning.

6. You may have to find your own moment where this person faced certain and "No Way Out" Death and survived, only to wind up on a cross surrounded by 2 robbers. Those who have translated the verse this way are working against strong headwinds to see the intention in this manner. I believe, even in my ignorance of the complete situation, that they are correct. I believe that it means what it says.

CW

Messages In This Thread
Re: Lamsa's different translations of "L'mana shabaqthani" - by Charles Wilson - 02-03-2014, 05:31 PM