Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yeshua's resurrection
Does the Peshitta read the same as the Greek in, Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:1, Luke 24:1 and John 20:1.

I know that all of the mayor English bible translations translate this verses with "first day of the week" but this is a mistranslation, the Greek word for "day" is not in any of this verses and in reality this verses translate to "first of the Sabbath's or one of the Sabbath's and this is exactly how the Young's Literal Translation, the KJ3 and the Concordant New Testament translate it.
Here are literal renderings from the Eastern Peshitta text.

Matthew 28:1 ?Then, at the Shab?tha evening, which was the dawn of the first {of the} Shab?a, Mariam the Magd?lita and the other Mariam came to see the burial place.?

Mark 16:1-2 ?And when the Shab?tha had passed, Mariam the Magd?lita, and Mariam of Ya?qub, and Shalum bought spices, so that they might come to anoint Him. Then, at dawn, at the first {of the} Shab?a, they came to the burial place, when the sun was rising.?

Luke 24:1-2 ?Then, at dawn, at the first {of the} Shab?a, while dark, they came to the burial place, and brought the spices, those which they had prepared, and there were other women with them. And they found the stone rolled from the burial place.?

John 20:1 ?At the first {of the} Shab?a, Mariam the Magd?lita came at dawn, while dark, to the burial place and saw the stone, which was removed from the burial place.?

Thirdwoe is Shab'ta the same as Shab'a?
Thirdwoe Wrote:Matthew 28:1 ?Then, at Shab?ta evening, which was the dawn of the first Shab?a, Mariam the Magd?lita and the other Mariam came to see the burial place.?

John 20:1 ?At the first Shab?a, Mariam the Magd?lita came at dawn, while dark, to the burial place and saw the stone, which was removed from the burial place.?

Hi,

Shab'a means week. Shab'ta means Shabbat.
So John 20:1 says: "On the first [of the] week"
Yea, I had just went totally literal there, as much as possible. the {brackets} could help make more sense in English.

Shlama,
Chuck
Could Shab'a be a plural word? Meaning weeks instead of the singular week.

So in the Aramaic the word "day" is not in the text also?
Seekerofknowledge Wrote:Could Shab'a be a plural word? Meaning weeks instead of the singular week.

So in the Aramaic the word "day" is not in the text also?

It can, but other words around it would need to be in the plural as well, and would take on a different form. They are not. So it is the first day of the week, not weeks.

+Shamasha
I see, so is the word "day" added in the translation or is it in the Aramaic text?
Seekerofknowledge Wrote:I see, so is the word "day" added in the translation or is it in the Aramaic text?

Hi Seeker

The word "day" is never present in the name of the Aramaic day of the week. It's not like the English mon-day or satur-day, or whatever-day.

In Aramaic the names of the day of the week (Shaba, literally the number seven) are formed by "number of seven/Shaba".

So the first day of the week is "khad b'Shaba" (one of seven", "treyn b'Shaba" (two of seven), etc. instead of the redundant "seven of seven", we have "Shabtha" to mean the seventh day. It's the feminine form for the number "seven."

In the verses you inquired about, the phrase is "one of seven", meaning the first day of the week.

+Shamasha
Seeker,

I'm not sure if you have heard the false teaching, but, I know those who have tried to teach that this verse somehow has a certain meaning, which they think shows that God changed the Sabbath from the 7th to the 1st day of the week...but, they are wrong about that.

One guy I know of was Harold Camping, you passed away the other day. Maybe you know about him, he was the person who claimed he knew when Christ was going to return...1st in 1994, then in 2011, saying the Bible said so, as he interpreted it anyway.

All I see in these verses, is the fact that it was after the Shab'tha (Sabbath) had ended, and during the 1st of the Shab'a (week), i.e. Sunday morning, as the sun was rising, while it was still dark out, the women came to the tomb to anoint the body of Jesus...But, He had already risen.

Shlama,
Chuck

Thank you all for your responses, the reason I ask about this verses is because my understanding of this verses is that what is being referredto as "first of the Sabbaths or first of the week" is the seven sabbaths between Passover and Pentecost.

Thirdwoe I do not believe that the day of rest was transferred from the 7th day to the first day.

I have a English translation of the Aramaic and in 1 chorinthians 16:2 it reads;

?On every Sunday, let each person of you lay aside in his house and keep that which he can, so that when I come there will be no collections.

Also in Acts 20:7

?In the first day the week, when we assembled to break the Eucharist, Paulus was speaking with them, because the next day he as going to go out by himself and he prolonged speaking until midnight.?

Does the word Sunday actually appears in 1 chorinthians 16:2, also does the word Eucharist appear in acts 20:7
Seekerofknowledge Wrote:Thank you all for your responses, the reason I ask about this verses is because my understanding of this verses is that what is being referredto as "first of the Sabbaths or first of the week" is the seven sabbaths between Passover and Pentecost.

Thirdwoe I do not believe that the day of rest was transferred from the 7th day to the first day.

I have a English translation of the Aramaic and in 1 chorinthians 16:2 it reads;

?On every Sunday, let each person of you lay aside in his house and keep that which he can, so that when I come there will be no collections.

Also in Acts 20:7

?In the first day the week, when we assembled to break the Eucharist, Paulus was speaking with them, because the next day he as going to go out by himself and he prolonged speaking until midnight.?

Does the word Sunday actually appears in 1 chorinthians 16:2, also does the word Eucharist appear in acts 20:7

Hi Seeker

Again, when you read "Khad b'Shaba", that means what you call in English "Sunday" - it is the day after Shabtha, Saturday. The first day of the week. It is not the "first of sevens" in any way, the word seven is not plural.

If you pick up an Aramaic calendar, the name for the first day of the week is "khad b'Shaba".

I know there are groups trying to make it mean Saturday, but that is simply not the case. It is linguistically impossible.

It has nothing to do with the day of rest, SHABTHA. The first day of the week is when Christ rose from the dead, and it is the day when we assemble and worship and break bread. Not rest. The day of rest is Shabtha.

+Shamasha
Yes, Acts 20:7 in the Aramaic text it has the word "Eucharist" or "EukarisTiya". Acts 2:42 also has the word, which as far as I know are the only places in the Aramaic NT the word is found.

In 1 Cor 16:2 the Aramaic text has "Khad b'Shaba", which as Paul Younan points out, amounts to "Sunday", which is the 1st day of the week, being the day after the Sabbath, or 7th day of the week.

Peace,
Chuck
I know Philo speaks of the Yehudim eating special loaves of bread on Pentecost, as done in Act 2:42. The word Eucharist literally means 'thanksgiving' and that is the reason Philo said the Yehudim ate the loaves of bread on Pentecost - in giving thanks.

THE SPECIAL LAWS II XXX(176):
THE SEVENTH FESTIVAL
XXX. (176) The solemn assembly on the occasion of the festival of the sheaf having such great privileges, is the prelude to another festival of still greater importance; for from this day the fiftieth day is reckoned, making up the sacred number of seven sevens, with the addition of a unit as a seal to the whole; and this festival, being that of the first fruits of the corn, has derived its name of pentecost from the number of fifty, (pente?kostos). And on it it is the custom to offer up two leavened loaves made of wheat, as a first fruit of the best kind of food made of corn; either because, before the fruit of the year is converted to the use of man, the first produce of the new crop, the first gathered corn that appears is offered as a first fruit, in order that by an insignificant emblem the people may display their grateful disposition; , ...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text/philo/book28.html">http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/text ... ook28.html</a><!-- m -->

So I am wondering if there is a comparable word to "Eucharist/EukarisTiya" in the OT? Especially pertaining to Shavuot.