Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aramaic word "Kalba"
Hello Everyone,
As you know, there are some occasions where the word "dog" or "dogs" are mentioned. Most notable ones are Matthew 15:22-29, Mark 7:25-30, and Philippians 3:2.

Matthew 15:22-29 (Etheridge Translation) - "And, beheld, a Canaanite woman from those coasts came forth crying, and saying, Have mercy upon me, my Lord, son of David ! my daughter is grievously possessed with the demon ! But he did not return her an answer. And the disciples approached and requested from him, saying, Dismiss her, for she crieth after us. But he answered and said to them, I am not sent but to the sheep which have wandered from the house of Israel. Then she came, worshipped him, and said, My Lord, help me ! Jeshu said to her, It is not proper to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs. But she said, Even so, my Lord; yet the dogs eat from the crumbs that fall from the tables of their masters, and live. Then said Jeshu to her, O woman, great is thy faith ! be it to thee as thou wilt! And healed was her daughter from that hour."

Mark 7:25-30 (Etheridge Translation) - "For immediately heard a certain woman concerning him, whose daughter had an unclean spirit; and she came, (and) fell before his feet. But that woman was a Gentile of Phuniki of Suria, and she prayed of him to cast out the demon from her daughter. But Jeshu said to her, Let the children first be filled; for it is not well to take the bread of the children and cast it to the dogs. But she answering said to him, Yes, my Lord, yet the dogs also from beneath the table eat the crumbs of the children. Jeshu saith to her, Go; on account of that word, the demon hath gone forth from thy daughter. And she went to her house, and found her daughter lying on the couch, and [that] the demon had gone out from her."

Note - Etheridge translates "Khanpa" as Gentile. According to my knowledge, Khanpa means "Pagan" or "Heathen." In Greek NT manuscripts of Mark 7:25-30, the pagan woman from Phuniki of Syria was changed to "Greek" by Greek scribes.

Philippians 3:2 - Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the cutting of the flesh.

When I checked Michael Sokoloff's dictionary "A Dictionary of Jewish Palestinian Aramaic" (Page 258) - the masculine "kalba" meant "dog, base person, male prostitute".

In Deuteronomy 23:18, NIV translated dog as male prostitute.

Deuteronomy 23:18 (NIV) - "You must not bring the earnings of a female prostitute or of a male prostitute[a] into the house of the Lord your God to pay any vow, because the Lord your God detests them both."

Footnotes: [a] Deuteronomy 23:18 Hebrew of a dog.

So I have few questions.

Although Jesus was testing the faith of the woman from Syrian Phoenicia, still do you think when Jesus said "dogs" ( "kalba" without vowel markings), he was referring to "base persons"?

When Apostle Paul said "dogs" in Philippians 3:2, was he referring to male prostitutes?