Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Aramaic Dialect of Paul and Luke
Luke was from Antioch of Syria, so couldn't he have spoken the Syriac dialect of Aramaic? Paul was also from Tarsus of Turkey (the same country in which Edessa is in), but was raised in Jerusalem. When Paul spoke to the people in Acts 21:40, it is stated the he spoke in "Hebrew" (the Judean Aramaic dialect). The question is if Paul's Aramaic could have been a mix between Syriac (which his parents could have spoken) and Judean (in which he would have been schooled). I call this mixed dialect "Judeo-Syriac". What do you all think?
ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:I call this mixed dialect "Judeo-Syriac". What do you all think?

Do you have any evidence (except the Peshitta, which would be circular reasoning) for a Judeo-Syriac dialect?
What I meant when I said that, was how Paul would have talked. Whatever the Turkish Aramaic dialect was is what Paul's parents would have spoken. Paul was schooled in the Judean dialect though. So my question is, could Paul have spoken a mixture of the two dialects? It just seems like a natural conclusion to me. I don't know if I would call the dialect Syriac of Tarsus or not, honestly. I don't know what the dialect of Tarsus was. I know Syriac was spoken in some parts of Turkey.
ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:What I meant when I said that, was how Paul would have talked. Whatever the Turkish Aramaic dialect was is what Paul's parents would have spoken. Paul was schooled in the Judean dialect though. So my question is, could Paul have spoken a mixture of the two dialects? It just seems like a natural conclusion to me. I don't know if I would call the dialect Syriac of Tarsus or not, honestly. I don't know what the dialect of Tarsus was. I know Syriac was spoken in some parts of Turkey.

Shlama Akhi

People tend to be able to speak multiple dialects rather easily. I can communicate in several, and it is quite necessary as there are many today.

Jesus and the disciples were able to speak several Aramaic dialects.

To answer your question, the dialect of Paul was probably closer to that of Luke's than that of Matthew's. But then again they probably switched up dialects on a dime like people do today. It's not really that big of a deal. If you speak one, it takes a few hours of exposure to any other dialect to pick up their nuances.

+Shamasha
Thanks for your input, Akhi Paul (first time I have ever referred to anyone with that word in Aramaic). That's one thing I was thinking about when writing the post.
Shlama'

Many scholars argue that Antioch of Syria speaks Greek, not aramaic. And I can't find some texts which proves the opposite