Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Aramaic Dialect of Paul and Luke
ScorpioSniper2 Wrote:What I meant when I said that, was how Paul would have talked. Whatever the Turkish Aramaic dialect was is what Paul's parents would have spoken. Paul was schooled in the Judean dialect though. So my question is, could Paul have spoken a mixture of the two dialects? It just seems like a natural conclusion to me. I don't know if I would call the dialect Syriac of Tarsus or not, honestly. I don't know what the dialect of Tarsus was. I know Syriac was spoken in some parts of Turkey.

Shlama Akhi

People tend to be able to speak multiple dialects rather easily. I can communicate in several, and it is quite necessary as there are many today.

Jesus and the disciples were able to speak several Aramaic dialects.

To answer your question, the dialect of Paul was probably closer to that of Luke's than that of Matthew's. But then again they probably switched up dialects on a dime like people do today. It's not really that big of a deal. If you speak one, it takes a few hours of exposure to any other dialect to pick up their nuances.

+Shamasha

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Aramaic Dialect of Paul and Luke - by Paul Younan - 10-27-2013, 11:12 PM