Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does Hebrew and Greek appear in Pilatos' sign?
distazo Wrote:Hi B!

This was just an example which Paul gave to you, that the script in untrained eyes makes up the language!
Of course, the sign on
the dbuying tablet above Yeshu was written in correct language, it was not transliterated.
To prove this point: In ancient Palmyra, they found also signs in 3 languages (Greek, Latin, 'Hebrew'/Aramaic). It was THE way, the Romans communicated with the people when they wrote public messages.
Palmyra is in Syria, as you know, and it was especially having an Aramaic speaking people, in those days; still, the signs were in 3 languages. It was just common Roman use in those areas.

Estrangelo, the script for the NT, developed in Edessa, did not exist in Jesus time. So, what Paul means, Jewish Aramaic was written using Hebrew Square script.
For a non Jew, it would just look like 'hebrew'
This is making a lot of sense to me!

Thanks for your share, it's very useful.
Quote:Estrangelo, the script for the NT, developed in Edessa, did not exist in Jesus time. So, what Paul means, Jewish Aramaic was written using Hebrew Square script.
Really? Any proof? I do not think there is a proof.

Jesus and the Apostles were Galileans who used own Galilean dialect different from Judean.
Galilea was called Suristan. I assume that the language was just like in Syria and the script was Estrangela.

Aramaic during Jesus times is to be called Hebrew, and Paleo Hebrew is called Old Hebrew.
So, the puzzle is solved.
IPOstapyuk Wrote:
Quote:Estrangelo, the script for the NT, developed in Edessa, did not exist in Jesus time. So, what Paul means, Jewish Aramaic was written using Hebrew Square script.
Really? Any proof? I do not think there is a proof.

Jesus and the Apostles were Galileans who used own Galilean dialect different from Judean.
Galilea was called Suristan. I assume that the language was just like in Syria and the script was Estrangela.

Aramaic during Jesus times is to be called Hebrew, and Paleo Hebrew is called Old Hebrew.
So, the puzzle is solved.

Konway87 pointed me to some evidence that the first Estrangelo script was from the beginning of the first century and thus not developed by Christians so I was wrong.
Quote:For Example, Birecik inscription from A.D 6 is written in Estrangela alphabet.

IPOstapyuk Wrote:Galilea was called Suristan.

Do you have any backup for this statement? Or do you mean 'the language was called Suristi?'