Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for help
Toma Marqos Wrote:I have been studying Hebrew in block and pictograph form on my own. I am currently searching for a Hebrew text of the TANAK translated from the Aramaic Peshitta. I have considered trying to learn Aramaic, but it appears to be more difficult than Hebrew. I have heard that the Peshitta predates the Masoretic text, but I can not read Aramaic and I do not want an English translation of the Peshitta. I want a Hebrew translation of the Aramaic Peshitta. Learning Hebrew has truly opened the SCRIPTURES up in ways I never thought possible, but I want a purer text to work with. To many people have added and taken away from the SCRIPTURES, scribes and translators through the ages are guilty. Am I making sense? Can anyone help me in my search? If not, How can I learn Aramaic?

Shlama Toma,

i came to the Peshitta with a grounding in Hebrew (and some scant Aramaic from the OT), and i can say that i found it was extremely easy to pick up the Aramaic of the Peshitta. i can't speak for how easy it may be for you since we all learn differently, but i would highly, highly, highly encourage you to take the time to start learning what you need, because if you think you've been blessed by learning Hebrew and reading the Word in the original language, just wait until you read Messiah's own words in the original utterances! the entire writing of the NT will come alive like never before, i assure you!

there are some great helps online, or you can purchase some grammar books that will aide in learning. i found that there really is not that much different to learn about Aramaic if you have a good foundation in Hebrew already. you might be surprised at what you find, if you start looking into it.

for me personally, i first learned the Estrangela script - it is a beautifully-flowing Aramaic script that is somewhat similar to Hebrew Ashuri script, such that you will easily be able to memorize the letter forms based off their Hebrew counterparts you already know, but not have to worry about every "confusing" in your mind when you are reading Hebrew and when you are reading Aramaic, which could possibly be a factor if you learn Aramaic in Ashuri script. there are other scripts, of course, that are more distinctly different than the Ashuri script is from Estrangela, so you might want to check them out, as well.

i encourage you to seek the very words of your Savior in His tongue!

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Messages In This Thread
Looking for help - by Toma Marqos - 07-24-2013, 11:50 PM
Re: Looking for help - by Burning one - 07-25-2013, 02:37 AM
Re: Looking for help - by gregglaser - 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Re: Looking for help - by distazo - 07-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Re: Looking for help - by Thirdwoe - 07-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Re: Looking for help - by Thirdwoe - 07-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Re: Looking for help - by gregglaser - 07-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Re: Looking for help - by gregglaser - 07-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Re: Looking for help - by Thirdwoe - 07-28-2013, 05:26 AM