Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1 Peter 3:13 big Split word article part 2
Notes: did I get the right Aramaic letters for Tnn? Is imitators better, or is zealous better? Please let me know ASAP, then I can edit it accordingly.

Thanks,

Chris

-----

2. Be an imitator or be zealous ??? 1Peter 3:13

The DARBY says: ???And who shall injure you if ye have become imitators of that which [is] good????

The NASB says: ???Who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good????

Versions that say imitators, followers or a variation thereof: ALT, DARBY, Geneva, KJ21, KJV, LITV, MKJV, NKJV, Webster, WYC, YLT.

Versions that say zealous, eager, or a variation thereof: AMP, ASV, CEV, Douay-Rheims, ESV, NASB, NIV, NIV-UK, NLT, Rotherham, RSV, TEV, Weymouth.

Now, it just so happens that the Aramaic root [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]tnn[/font] can mean ???to be zealous???, but can also mean ???to imitate???. It is clear that the disagreements in the Greek texts, points to the Aramaic original.

???Some Greek texts have  (imitators) in 1st Peter 3:13 and some have  (zealous).
Well, if we could show by a lexicon that the word used in the Peshitta text can mean both, we would have good support for Aramaic primacy of 1st Peter...right? The corresponding word in the Peshitta text is 'tanana.' Let's take a look at the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon under its root code 'Tnn'...
Tnn N Tnn)
1 Syr zeal
2 Syr envy

Tnn V
021 JLAGal to moisten
Tnn#2 V
011 Syr to be aroused
012 Syr to be zealous
013 Syr %b% to envy
014 Syr %b% to imitate
041 Syr to come to envy
021 Syr to arouse someone's zeal
051 Syr to suffer from zeal
031 Syr to arouse someone's envy
032 Syr to make to emulate

Tnn A
1 Syr zealous
2 Syr champion
3 Syr emulator
4 Syr envious

That's why you have Greek variants that don't look anything alike except for the '-tai' ending...'mimetai' versus 'zelotai' ~~ 'imitators' versus 'zealous'
The texts that have 'mimetai' (imitators) are the 1550 Stephens Textus Receptus, the 1894 Scrivener Textus Receptus and the Byzantine Majority Text.
The Alexandrian Text has 'zelotai' (zealous) as well as these:
1 Pet 3:13. Read "be zealous" instead of "be imitators". L T Tr A W WH N NA
L=Lachmann 1842, T=Tischendorf 1869, Tr=Tregelles 1857, A=Alford 1849 as revised in 1871, W=Wordsworth 1856 as revised in 1870, WH=Westcott & Hort 1881, N=Collation in progress of Nestle 1927 as revised in 1941 (17th). NA=Nestle-Aland 1979 (Aland et al. 1979)??? ??? Larry Kelsey

Acknowledgements: Thanks to Larry Kelsey for this split word.

In this case, as Mr. Kelsey pointed out, the Alexandrian version usually say zealous and the Byzantine usually says imitators. The Byzantine reading (imitator) is the better one. The score: 1-1, the Byzantines have equalized.
Woops! aramaic is 'backwards, so it should be nnt instead of tnn right?

btw I have problem with making the word. It is meant to be nnT not nnt. But when I make capital it doesn't why is that?

Is [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]nnt [/font] (nnt) correct or

is [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]nnT[/font] (nnT) correct?

Thanks,

Chris
See what I mean? I have big problem. According to CAL, nnt and nnT (have to input as Tnn and tnn for some reason unlike the other lexicon from peshitta.org), are different words. Why then can I make nnt in Aramaic font, but not nnT?

And which is correct? Thanks.