Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etheridge's Mistranslations
Thanks, Brother. I'm hoping some more people will give feedback. I could definitely use it! I definitely agree with you about 3:33. From all the Peshitta translations I've looked at though, Etheridge seems to be the only one to translate it this way. I'll have to look at it a little more. Alexander translates it as, 'Eashoa told them, "Even though from the beginning I have been telling you [this,]"'.

Brother Paul's Interlinear says, "said to them Yeshua even if I should begin to speak with you" or "Yeshua said to them, 'Even if I should begin to speak with you". I think the fact that 3 native speakers (even if the other two are less accurate than Brother Paul) is pretty significant. You are definitely more knowledgeable in Aramaic than I am though!

The Greek seems closer to Etheridge's translation in this.

Young's Literal Translation- "Jesus said to them, 'Even what I did speak of to you at the beginning;"
New American Standard- 'Jesus said to them, "What have I been saying to you from the beginning?"'
New International Version- '"Just what I have been telling you from the beginning," Jesus replied.'

Messages In This Thread
Etheridge's Mistranslations - by ScorpioSniper2 - 06-18-2013, 05:56 AM
Re: Etheridge's Mistranslations - by Thirdwoe - 06-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Re: Etheridge's Mistranslations - by ScorpioSniper2 - 06-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Re: Etheridge's Mistranslations - by Thirdwoe - 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Re: Etheridge's Mistranslations - by DrawCloser - 06-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Re: Etheridge's Mistranslations - by DrawCloser - 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM