Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peshitta Old Testament online - questions.
I know that questions on this issue have been discussed before but allow me to ask afresh: Is there anywhere online where I/one can view the Peshitta Old Testament Scriptures in English? Would you please direct me? I know there is the Lamsa Old Testament version, in English, but from what I have heard (or it has been rumored around) he has taken some "liberties" in his translation like he did in some places of his New Testament Peshitta translation. Is this true?

Also, I learned some time ago that the actual Peshitta Old Testament (in Aramaic) is older than the Hebrew (actual Hebrew MT) copies, and thus, more reliable. Can any of you bear witness to this? IOW, the Aramaic Old Testament Scriptures are older versions and copies than the Hebrew MT copies and thus, the Peshitta Old Testament is more faithful and true to the original Hebrew text(s). Am I on the right course here or do I need correction?

Thanks.

Kindly,

Mike Karoules
Hey Mike, I havent found one online in English translation as yet. And the oldest Manuscript of the Peshitta OT is a few hundred years older than the oldest extant Masoretic Hebrew text. It may preserve a 1st century translation of a 1st century Hebrew text...so it's important to study it to see what it says in every place.

You can check Lamsa's version, but if you have a question about the reading, just ask, and I or another can help you with the original Aramaic text. I don't trust Lamsa's translation of the NT at all, after seeing far to many deviations from the Aramaic text. I haven't checked his OT out enough to have a judgment on it.

Shlama,
Chuck
Chuck,

. . . which makes me wonder about his Old Testament translation of the Aramaic into English. Oh well, it is what it is. anyway, thanks alot, Chuck.

Kindly,

mike
Chuck, thanks for the time.

Hey, would you be able to give me any suggestions or references OUTSIDE of the internet (or, offline sources?) - of the Old Testament Tanakh (translation in English)?

Kindly,

Mike
Lamsa's is the only complete translation made in English of the Aramaic OT that I know of, online or hardcopy. Though, David Bauscher has recently made a translation of the Psalms and Proverbs, and just released an interlinear of the Aramaic Torah. Andrew Roth is said to be working on a translation of the Aramaic OT as well, but nothing avialable as yet.

Shlama,
Chuck
Okay then, Chuck. I guess that will have to do for now; nothing or Lamsa. thanks for checking on this for me, Chuck.

Kindly,

Mike Karoules

Be good; do good work
Lamsa's translation is good for the most part, but he does has bias in his translation. Most of his bias is in the Gospels and Acts though. The Old Testament has some questionable translations too but I haven't seen very many.
At first I thought about Lamsa translation that is out of frames but now I like it.
He translates more logically than literally and it is interesting to know height of his thought.
Although I do not agree with him everywhere but like reading the rest.
The main thing I disagree with him on is his policy on demonic possession, but at some point I am gonna read the New Testament all the way through in his translation. Lamsa's translation is one of my favorites.
I have to say it. His NT translation is linked on the Dukhrana.com Peshitta Tool...and if you check each verse against the Eastern Peshitta...or even the Western Peshitto version...Lamsa's translations are not always from the Aramaic text...but from the Greek instead. Not just a few times either. Janet Magiera says he was presured to make it closer to the King James Version, or else it wouldn't be published...and it looks like that is the case.
I always heard that he liked the English style of the King James Version, so I always thought that was the idea. I could definitely see them pressuring him to conform the readings to the Greek though!
IPO, Scorpio and Church;

Thanks. It is the Old Testament Peshitta Tenakh that I mainly have in mind. I guess, for the main his translation is okay and can be checked with the Hebrew text to compare. some of his translation of the New Testament does cause one to take a second or third look , if one is looking strictly at an Aramaic Peshitta point of view.

Kindly,

Mike
Hey, I would ask you guys if you WANT and if you can remember to please, please let me know of any verses in Lamsa's Old Testament Peshitta translation that are questionable or causes any of you to "squint your eyes" in reading the OT text of Lamsa. Just leave any remarks on this thread or "Private Messege" me. Of course, if any of you are inclined to do such.

Kindly,

Mike
Mike,
we would be able to help you more if we knew what exactly you are looking for.
Are you looking for the oldest OT text?
Masoretic (Hebrew) manuscripts are around 900 CE.
It is said by some that Ceriani_Veteris Testamentum (7a1) (Aramaic OT) is of 100-200 CE but
I do not know proof. Moreover it looks to me it was copied after around 700 CE since
there are older period Aramaic letters.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.peshitta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3442">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3442</a><!-- l -->

If you want to see differences between modern Jewish text and LXX,
it is here on the margins
Ceriani_Syro-Hexaplaris Ambrosianus
If you look for really old text, it is here from about 700 BC
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-01846/32">http://cudl.lib.cam.ac.uk/view/MS-ADD-01846/32</a><!-- m -->
If you are looking for truth, do not go into Lamsa translation without knowing Aramaic.
Chuck andIvan,

I thank you for being willing to interact with me on these important issues. I consider your offerto help me out as "REACHING OUT TO ME." these things that involve the Word of the Messiah our important issues to me because that which involves the Word of God invlolves eternity. These are the actions of people who have servant's hearts and there are not many in the body of Messiah like that today.

Again, thank you.

Kindly,

Mike Karoules

P.S. I also thank the moderators and Paul Younan for allowing me to share things on his web-site and allow for open , honest and calm("kind")discussions. take care.