Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remarks in the Khabouris manuscript margin
Thirdwoe Wrote::

Have you read this thread yet Mike?

look at the thread called "Kaboris Munuscript" and the thread "name of Bishop of Nineveh"

Blessings,
Chuck

Chuck, I followed your leads and there is no colophon translations any where within them. There are more than one dating being assigned but no colophon translation in any of the quotes!

Quote::
The Khabouris Manuscript is a copy?of?a second century New Testament, which was written in approximately 165 AD (internally documented as 100 years after the great persecution?of?the Christians by Nero, in 65AD). Carbon dating has found this copy?of?the New Testament to be approximately 1,000 years old. Given its origins, this would make it a copy?of?the oldest known New Testament manuscript.

Resources:?
1) Unpublished writings?of?Abbott Gerrit Crawford, PhD, MSJ, Western-Rite Syrian Orthodox Church in America?
2) fr. michael ryce, N.D., D.C.P.?
3) Enlightenment, Khabouris Manuscript, The Yonan Codex Foundation, Inc. Atlanta, GA 1993

Paul Younan Wrote::
I went back and re-read the colophon and I don't find any reference at all to "100 years" - I think somebody is making that part up. It simply refers to the original copy being made during the Great Persecution, which would make the Khabouris an?11th-century copy?of?a well worn 4th century manuscript, which was most likely a copy?of?the very original 1st-century manuscripts.?

So with the Khabouris we have, I believe, a 3rd-generation text which was very close to the original since only 2...or a maximum or 3 scribes in total had their hands in there. That's why its so valuable. It's only the 3rd link in the chain. Paul Younan?
Site Admin
?

Qashisha Dave Wrote::
Khabouris is actually a 12th century manuscript which, according to its scribe, was copied from a 4th century manuscript (pre AD 360).
The other dates are correct. There are several other 5th century Peshitta mss. as well. These Peshitta mss.?agree?extremely closely with each other;?far more closely than any two Greek manuscripts agree together.?There are several hundred Peshitta mss., many?of?which can be dated from the 5th, 6th,7th and 8th centuries.

Qashisha Dave
?

Dawid Wrote::
The information you need is actually right here on Peshitta.org. Go to "introduction." Sinai Syriac 2 [/code]dates to the fifth century, Codex Ambrosianus is fifth century, the Khaboris ms is dated to the fourth century.
These are about the oldest extant Peshitta mss, I think.

Shalom,
Dawid
?

?SP Silver Wrote::
Provenance:
provenance(1) According to the most popular interpretation?of?the difficult colophon, this manuscript was copied in?Nineveh, the capital?of?the Assyrian empire, from a now-lost manuscript which may have dated to the second century AD, and bears the authenticating seal and signature of?the?bishop?of?Nineveh?as a true and accurate copy. Carbon-dating has now shown that this copy was made in the eleventh or twelfth century.(2) Acquired by Norman Malik Yonan?of Richmond, Virginia, and sold before his death in 1970 to D. McDougald, and by descent to the present owner.?

Mr. Yonan interpreted the worn and damaged colophon?of?the manuscript and a subsequent inscription to date it between 195 AD and 410 AD; making it, as he explained in his press-release, potentially older than the Yonan Codex, the Codex Syriac Sinaiticus, the Cureton Codex and the Jerusalem Codex. However, doubt was raised by a number?of?scholars after Yonan?s death in 1970. Correspondence from 1986 shows that the British Library experts had dated it paleolographically to about the twelfth century, and this has now been confirmed by a research team assembled in America in 1995, as well as by carbon dating by the University?of?Arizona in 1999 (giving the date range 1000-1190 AD). Some belief has remained, however, and debate has persisted over the reading?of?the colophon, which if Yonan?s decipherment is accurate indicates that the manuscript?s ultimate exemplar was written in the period 195-410, making it (and the readings in this text) older than the earliest known Greek canons?of?the New Testament.?

SP Silver?

The Aramaic Colophon can be found here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://whyagain.com/KhaburisKhaboris/sm_Kha_510.jpg">http://whyagain.com/KhaburisKhaboris/sm_Kha_510.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Can anybody translate it "word for word" (with approximations as to where the watermarks are)?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Remarks in the Khabouris manuscript margin - by The Texas RAT - 10-20-2012, 01:44 AM