Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remarks in the Khabouris manuscript margin
Akhi Paul,

Aye the handwriting and vowel pointing of the Khabouris, itself, is certainly 11th-12th century (and the replacement pages younger, but that's expected) so it's most likely the era it was copied/produced. Provided that's the date for its parent MS (and it hasn't been embellished a bit, which is always possible when it comes to dating things by major catastrophic events) then it's still in line with the range of the conventional understanding, i.e late 4th century before assuming popularity by the early 5th. At any rate, the date that is mentioned far more often vis-a-vis the colophon (164AD) is quite dubious.

Anyways, this is why good images and a quality transcription of the colophon are so desperately needed and I hope Rivera's images do the trick.

Rabbula became Bishop in 411 (his birth year is unknown and he died in 435). The Peshitta's attribution to Rabbula was only a tradition; it's more likely (at least in my opinion) that Rabbula merely played a large hand in cementing its popularity thereby creating the tradition in retrospect. :-)

Peace,
-Steve

Messages In This Thread
Re: Remarks in the Khabouris manuscript margin - by SteveCaruso - 10-02-2014, 04:04 AM