Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remarks in the Khabouris manuscript margin
Last I read it, it said it was a copy of a manuscript produced during the "Great Persecution", which in the CoE refers to the massive killing during the reign of Shapur in Persia. This persecution began in 339 and ended in 379. It nearly wiped out the CoE.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=we...qFQy9lCOrw

It was during this persecution that Mar Shimon bar Sabbai, along with dozens of bishops, was martyred. The bloodshed continued for 40 years.

So just to be clear: the colophon, if I read it correctly, would have made it a copy of a copy from some time during 339-379 AD. That doesn't mean the Manuscript is that old. It could be from the 11-12th century. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the original lasted from 350 AD ( for instance ) until the 11-13th century. After which it was copied into the manuscript in question.

So if the colophon is correct, we have a copy of a very old copy of the Peshitta. It would certainly place it before the time of Rabbula (born in 411, outside of Persia in the Roman Empire).

Also it would make it very close to the original autographs from the apostles.

I will be contacting Eric shortly to see if I can obtain a copy of the colophon in enhanced image. Only God knows if it is still even legible. They could have manhandled it during all these years.

Ps. AGR incorrectly attributes the "Great Persecution" to that of Nero in the Roman Empire. Eastern Peshitta manuscripts do not reference Roman (western) persecutions, they were produced in a different empire (the Persian), and there was very little persecution before the Shah Shapur.

+Shamasha

Messages In This Thread
Re: Remarks in the Khabouris manuscript margin - by Paul Younan - 10-02-2014, 12:54 AM