Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Errors in the Paul Younan Interlinear?
Paul Younan Wrote:Re: Colossians 3:6

Quote:so you can see that a variant reading exists in the Greek that can be explained via the Aramaic. if the term B'NEH can mean EITHER "sons" or "deeds," and needs careful context clues to determine correct translation, then it would be expected to possibly find a mistake in the Greek, and that is exactly what we find!

i have to give props to Paul Younan for originally bringing out this variant and mistake on the Greek side of things that stems from misreading the Aramaic. you can find his original post on Peshitta.org forum with some digging. it has been some years.

i must say that i don't know about Paul's position on how THIS passage from Colossians should read, though. to my knowledge he only ever brought up the ones from the Gospels. but as i read the passage myself from Colossians in context, i felt the reading really should be "deeds" here."

There's no doubt, I would definitely agree with the "deeds" reading here in the Aramaic as well. Not only does "deeds" make more sense in the context (see v.5), but also, how can one "live in the sons?" (v6)

Absolutely brilliant find Jeremy, thanks for sharing ThirdWoe! (in Colossians, nonetheless!)

+Shamasha

Shlama akhi Paul,

i'm glad to know my going against the flow of the majority of translations paid off this time! but again, your post from WAY BACK about B'NEH stuck in my mind and was the impetus for me looking at Col. 3:6 differently in light of the surrounding context. oh, and i noticed that the AENT also chose "deeds" over "sons," for largely the same reasons, so apparently i wasn't the first to catch it.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Messages In This Thread
Re: Errors in the Paul Younan Interlinear? - by Burning one - 09-22-2012, 03:58 PM