Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hebrews 1:6 is missing?
Are you referring to where it says "And let all the angels of God worship Him"? Your reference to Deuteronomy 32:43 is on track, but only in the Septuigant. Here are four translations I could pull from online (I'm not at home),

"Rejoice, ye heavens, with him, and let all the angels of God worship him; rejoice ye Gentiles, with his people, and let all the sons of God strengthen themselves in him; for he will avenge the blood of his sons, and he will render vengeance, and recompense justice to his enemies, and will reward them that hate him; and the Lord shall purge the land of his people." (LXX)

"Therefore praise his people o you nations; for the blood of his servants shall be avenged, and he will take vengeance upon his adversaries, and will give absolution to his land and his people." (Lamsa Bible / Peshitta OT)

"Rejoice, O nations, with His people; For He will avenge the blood of His servants, And will render vengeance on His adversaries, And will atone for His land and His people." (NASB / MT)

"Praise his people, ye nations, for he will revenge the blood of his servants: and will render vengeance to their enemies, and he will be merciful to the land of his people." (Douay Rheims / Vulgate)

So here's a question, is the Peshitta quoting the LXX here? Or is it simply that we don't have a text in either Hebrew or Aramaic that still includes this verse? Anybody have the DSS handy? I can check when I get home.

Many also point to Psalm 97:7, of which both Peshitta and LXX say angels for what the Hebrew elohim, but I doubt there's a connection linguistically (or even theologically).

Messages In This Thread
Hebrews 1:6 is missing? - by BenEfraym - 07-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Re: Hebrews 1:6 is missing? - by Luc Lefebvre - 07-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Re: Hebrews 1:6 is missing? - by Thirdwoe - 07-23-2012, 12:38 AM
Re: Hebrews 1:6 is missing? - by BenEfraym - 07-23-2012, 02:34 PM