Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colossians 4:10
Brand new here, so bear with my ignorance, please.
In Colossians 4:10 Paul is speaking of a relative of Barnabas named John.
The word is translated 'cousin,' however, I remember reading somewhere that there is no Aramaic word for cousin.
Can anyone clarify the meaning of this Aramaic word, with special emphasis on whether the word could be a generic term for other relatives, and/or does it exclude other specific relations?
As always in scripture, exactness of meaning is critical.
Thank you.
Hello. There is no single word for cousin, but the cognate phrase "son of his uncle" is used here.

+Shamasha
I haven't heard that before. I read somewhere of "sister's son" being used. So this is precise? Would it be impossible that John Mark was anything but a nephew? Not a son, or anything else?
Thank you very much, by the way. I am doing research for a semi-ficticious novel and want to get my details, if not accurate, at least plausible.
Clscjones Wrote:Thank you very much, by the way. I am doing research for a semi-ficticious novel and want to get my details, if not accurate, at least plausible.

Hi again. The phrase used "son of his uncle" is common for "cousin", even in the modern neo-Aramaic. You can even specify whether the uncle is maternal or paternal. The Aramaic words for uncles and aunts are specific to the side of family.