Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galatians Law
Are there any concordances of the Aramaic that would help me to study it like the Strong's helps with the Hebrew and Greek? If not can you answer the following question? I would like to know if there are any studies on the Aramaic word that is translated in the English "law" in the New Testament? Particularly in Paul's letter to the Galatians. Is there one word for "Law" in the Aramaic that is a direct reference to "Torah" and other Aramaic words that would refer to other law, like roman law or Jewish law. In the Re Murdock translation he translates all references to "Torah". Is this accurate, or is there a difference in Aramaic words where Paul is contrasting different laws. For example when Paul says the "I through the law, died to the law that I may live to Messiah" Is this certainly "Torah" or could this be a reference to Jewish Law as distinct from what was written in the Torah? In other words, in context Paul came out of Judaism and died to Judaism that he could life to Messiah.
Thank you
Gary Hoffman
Gary Hoffman Wrote:Are there any concordances of the Aramaic that would help me to study it like the Strong's helps with the Hebrew and Greek? If not can you answer the following question? I would like to know if there are any studies on the Aramaic word that is translated in the English "law" in the New Testament? Particularly in Paul's letter to the Galatians. Is there one word for "Law" in the Aramaic that is a direct reference to "Torah" and other Aramaic words that would refer to other law, like roman law or Jewish law. In the Re Murdock translation he translates all references to "Torah". Is this accurate, or is there a difference in Aramaic words where Paul is contrasting different laws. For example when Paul says the "I through the law, died to the law that I may live to Messiah" Is this certainly "Torah" or could this be a reference to Jewish Law as distinct from what was written in the Torah? In other words, in context Paul came out of Judaism and died to Judaism that he could life to Messiah.
Thank you
Gary Hoffman

Shlama Akhi Gary:
The two words used in the Peshitta New Testament to define law are namusa, which is the common word used throughout the New Testament which can mean Torah (Law of Moses) and is used for all forms of written and oral authority. The other word, specifically for Torah is the Aramaic word orayta, which specifically refers to Torah, the Law of Moses.
In Galatians 2:19 namusa means Torah. From the written Torah (Law of Moses) is the knowledge of sin. The same is used in Matthew 5:17 to mean Torah. The Torah/Law is the divine and eternal revelation of sin. In Matthew 12:5 the word orayta is used in the Peshitta New Testament as Torah exclusively.
Subsequently, orayta is used three times in the Peshitta New Testament, and only in Matthew 11:13, 12:5 and 22:40 exclusively to mean Torah, Law of Moses.

Shlama,
Stephen
I find that this is a great help in searching the Aramaic Scriptures, to look up words and their various uses in the Peshitta.

The Peshitta Lexicon: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com/lexicon/">http://www.dukhrana.com/lexicon/</a><!-- m -->
The Peshitta Study Tool: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com/peshitta/index.php">http://www.dukhrana.com/peshitta/index.php</a><!-- m -->

Once you learn how these work, you will be able to deeply study what the Aramaic text says, both in the Western and Eastern forms, and can compare a number of Peshitta translation in English, as well with the Greek and Latin forms of the New Testament text as well. It is true blessing to be able to use these tools. If you havent used them, then please ask for help and one of us who use it can help you. Brother Stephen Silver has much to do with it, and is more the expert on how it all works, though I have learned how it works pretty good. The Old Testament portion of the Holy Scriptures is planned to be added in the future with God's help.

I have found the way for instance to look up a single word, like "Law" or the Aramaic forms of Namusa and Orayta, and click to see where all the places each are used in the New Testament. This is like the Englishmans Concordance I used to study the Greek form of the Scriptures years ago...which is a big help in see which Aramaic word is being used in context, where a single English word for multiple Aramaic words might be used in translation. Again, I can help you out in useing this function...just message me directly, and I can walk you or anyone else through the procces until you get it down.

Shlama,
Chuck
Thank you both for your input, I will check out the referenced sites.
Gary
First, thank you for the study tools reference!!! I have been using them regularly in study and have been blessed. Is there any online study that would help me better understand the Aramaic language that you would recommend? Also, I have been doing a continued study on the Aramaic word namuwsa that is usually translated "law". The purpose is to determine if there is in the Aramaic language a way that the writers emphasized different elements of law or specific laws in their choice of the following uses:
13132 b'namuwsa
13134 b'namuwshuwn
13135 b'namuwsk,uwn
13136 d'ab,namuwsa
13138 d'namuwsa
13139 d'namuwshuwn
13140 wab,namuwsa
13141 wab,namuwsk,uwn
13144 lnamuwsa
13147 namuwsa
13149 namuwsk,uwn
What are the primary differences in this list of uses of namuwsa? For example when Paul uses the term works of the law in Galatians the word 13138 d'namuwsa is always used and when he is specifically connecting the word to what is written he uses 13132 b'namuwsa. Is it possible that these different uses are distinguishing between "oral torah" (being the man made laws of the Jews) and "written Torah" (being what is actually written in the book of Moses)?
Hi Gary,

In Semitic languages there is a root-word, and an inflection. That is, like in many languages, like German, Russian, Greek, an aspect of the time. So, the list you give, is just an inflection of the root, the number and the gender and time are 'inflected'.