Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revelation 20:5a
In Revelation we have an infamously difficult book that I think a variance from the Peshitta has made it even more confusing. The following are the two textual options:

Etheridge:
Revelation 20:4 - 6 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given to them; and to the souls of them who had been cut asunder for the sake of the testimony of Jeshu, and for the word of Aloha, and them who had not worshipped the beast of prey nor his image, nor received his signature upon their forehead and upon their hands. And they lived and reigned with their Meshiha the thousand years. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he who hath part in the first resurrection: upon them the second death hath not power; but they shall be priests of Aloha and of his Meshiha, and shall reign with him the thousand years.

KJV:
Revelation 20:4 - 6 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

The issue of the resurrection of Daniel 12:1-2 is in view here:

Daniel 12:1-3 (NKJV)
1 "At that time Michael shall stand up, The great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people; And there shall be a time of trouble, Such as never was since there was a nation, Even to that time. And at that time your people shall be delivered, Every one who is found written in the book. And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, Some to everlasting life, Some to shame and everlasting contempt. Those who are wise shall shine Like the brightness of the firmament, And those who turn many to righteousness Like the stars forever and ever.

Here's the problem: Daniel, as everywhere else I can find in scripture (Matt. 24:30, etc.), posits a single resurrection at which point the good and bad (sheep and goats) are judged. Revelation 20:5a (the typical Greek version at least), however, says that there are two resurrections separated by 1,000 years. It's not necessary to interpret any of the typical symbology of these prophesies to see where the Aramaic (and a small group of Greek texts such as Aleph, Ma pt., g, i1/3) lines up cleanly with the rest of scripture while the Greek presents some sort of new plot twist that had led to all sorts of speculation.

Doug
1000 years is not some kind of a reward. What is the 1000 years when compared to eternity? But they will serve as a preparation stage upon the entering an ever-being. The "priests" will be specialy didicated (consecrated) to perform this task people, both male and female. They together with Mshikha will instruct those who are saved and chosen in the camp of the saints in the way of the heavenly kingdom to be revealed. Nothing will distract them from that mission. Even though during these years Satana and all his host will bound in hell, the choice between rightousness and sin for the rest of the poeple will remain because the commandments will still stand. The situation will be close to what Adam and Even were in in the Gan Eden. Just like they fell, this will also prove the point that certain people are easily seduced by their own lusts even in the absence of the evil powers. And upon Satana's unloosing they will quickly submit themselves to him when he is come out to tempt and to seduce every single man so that justice will not be overlooked.
I'd prefer not to get into the interpretive speculation. I just thought it was interesting that the Peshitta version of Revelation 20:5 lines up cleanly with Daniel 12:1-2 as opposed to the majority of Greek texts.

Doug