Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Peter 3:10
I think I've found a split word at the end of this passage. In the Greek you have two root words in different traditions:

heurisko and katakaio

G2147
heurisko
Thayer Definition:
1) to come upon, hit upon, to meet with
1a) after searching, to find a thing sought
1b) without previous search, to find (by chance), to fall in with
1c) those who come or return to a place
2) to find by enquiry, thought, examination, scrutiny, observation, to find out by practice and experience
2a) to see, learn, discover, understand
2b) to be found, i.e. to be seen, be present
2c) to be discovered, recognized, detected, to show one?s self out, of one?s character or state as found out by others (men, God, or both)
2d) to get knowledge of, come to know, God
3) to find out for one?s self, to acquire, get, obtain, procure
Part of Speech: verb

G2618
katakaio
Thayer Definition:
1) to burn up, consume by fire
Part of Speech: verb

According to the Jennings lexicon for the verse you have a range of meanings for yaqd'iyn ne$t'ruwn, or (burn, set on fire) (loosen, lodge, begin, lossened, eat). The question is how two such different Greek words which look noting like each other managed to span the full, literal meaning of Aramaic terms which sound suspiciously like an idiom. Wallace basically sides with the interpretation of something ?will be laid bare?, as in "exposed at the final judgment".

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bible.org/article/brief-note-textual-problem-2-peter-310">http://bible.org/article/brief-note-tex ... -peter-310</a><!-- m -->

But, another tradition interprets this as the whole world being burn up at the final judgment. I think it's interesting that the two ideas find a common source in the Peshitta.

My suggestion is that the original meaning was that just like 1st Cor. 3:15 (and representing the same moment of the final judgment) the "world" will have its works revealed through a burning of sorts. So, in English, the ESV has the right approach (and the traditional English Peshitta translations might be a bit off by following the dissolution of the physical universe theme due to interpretive inertia from standard English translations). But, this approach requires a feel for a more Hebrew hermeneutic which is only now starting to come back into vogue with narrative theology. As is pointed out in "Moral Transformation" by Wallace and Rusk, the Patristics lost the Hebrew hermeneutic within the first generation of the western church tradition so I would propose that very early on they adopted a Greek translation of 2nd Peter 3:10 from Aramaic that matched the popular Stoic expectation of the literal annihilation of the physical universe. And, we've been stuck with that as part of our eschatology ever sense, even though as N. T. Wright points out there is no tradition in 2nd Temple Judaism of an expectation of the end of the physical universe or time.

Doug
2nd Peter 3:10 signifies the destruction of the present world (this planet), The hell will be removed from the inside of the earth and translated into a worst place. The recreation follows. The first heaven will be lowered on the planet's surface.

The earth was cursed for the act of disobediance of the first man Adam. God would not re-bless anything of that kind but will work it anew.

this would definitely happen.

17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying. (Isaiah 65)

22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.
24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh. (Isaiah 66)

13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. (2nd Peter 3)

1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. (Revelation 21)
31 The glory of the Lord shall endure for ever: the Lord shall rejoice in his works.
32 He looketh on the earth, and it trembleth: he toucheth the hills, and they smoke.
33 I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being.
34 My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the Lord.
35 Let the sinners be consumed out of the earth, and let the wicked be no more. Bless thou the Lord, O my soul. Praise ye the Lord. (Psalm 104)

1 Come near, ye nations, to hear; and hearken, ye people: let the earth hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth of it.
2 For the indignation of the Lord is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter.
3 Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their carcases, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood.
4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree.
5 For my sword shall be bathed in heaven: behold, it shall come down upon Idumea, and upon the people of my curse, to judgment.
6 The sword of the Lord is filled with blood, it is made fat with fatness, and with the blood of lambs and goats, with the fat of the kidneys of rams: for the Lord hath a sacrifice in Bozrah, and a great slaughter in the land of Idumea. (Isaiah 34)

19 My bowels, my bowels! I am pained at my very heart; my heart maketh a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because thou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war.
20 Destruction upon destruction is cried; for the whole land is spoiled: suddenly are my tents spoiled, and my curtains in a moment.
21 How long shall I see the standard, and hear the sound of the trumpet?
22 For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.
23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.
24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly.
25 I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled.
26 I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the Lord, and by his fierce anger.
27 For thus hath the Lord said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end.
28 For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black: because I have spoken it, I have purposed it, and will not repent, neither will I turn back from it. (Jeremiah 4)

6 For thus saith the Lord of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land;
7 And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the Lord of hosts. (Haggai 2)

4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever. (Ecclesiastes 1)

5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:
6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
12 That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. (Thessalonians 1)

20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quakeSmile
22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:
26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
29 For our God is a consuming fire. (Hebrews 12)

17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.
19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail. (Revelation 11)

And this is the second Parable concerning those who deny the name of the dwelling of the holy ones and the Lord of Spirits.
And into the heaven they shall not ascend,
And on the earth they shall not come:
Such shall be the lot of the sinners
Who have denied the name of the Lord of Spirits,
Who are thus preserved for the day of suffering and tribulation.
On that day Mine Elect One shall sit on the throne of glory
And shall try their works,
And their places of rest shall be innumerable.
And their souls shall grow strong within them when they see Mine Elect Ones,
And those who have called upon My glorious name:
Then will I cause Mine Elect One to dwell among them.
And I will transform the heaven and make it an eternal blessing and light
And I will transform the earth and make it a blessing:
And I will cause Mine elect ones to dwell upon it:
But the sinners and evil-doers shall not set foot thereon.
For I have provided and satisfied with peace My righteous ones
And have caused them to dwell before Me:
But for the sinners there is judgement impending with Me,
So that I shall destroy them from the face of the earth. (Sefer Khanokh 45)

And the world shall be written down for destruction.
And after this, in the tenth week in the seventh part,
There shall be the great eternal judgement,
In which He will execute vengeance amongst the angels.
And the first heaven shall depart and pass away,
And a new heaven shall appear,
And all the powers of the heavens shall give sevenfold light.
And after that there will be many weeks without number for ever,
And all shall be in goodness and righteousness,
And sin shall no more be mentioned for ever. (Sefer Khanokh 93)

In those days when He hath brought a grievous fire upon you,
Whither will ye flee, and where will ye find deliverance?
And when He launches forth His Word against you Will you not be affrighted and fear?
And all the luminaries shall be affrighted with great fear,
And all the earth shall be affrighted and tremble and be alarmed.
And all the angels shall execute their commands
And shall seek to hide themselves from the presence of the Great Glory,
And the children of earth shall tremble and quake;
And ye sinners shall be cursed for ever,
And ye shall have no peace.
Fear ye not, ye souls of the righteous,
And be hopeful ye that have died in righteousness.
And grieve not if your soul into Sheol has descended in grief,
And that in your life your body fared not according to your goodness,
But wait for the day of the judgement of sinners
And for the day of cursing and chastisement. (Sefer Khanokh 102)

Lake of Fire (Rev 20:14-15)is the surface of the planet-star that's approaching the earth.

39 And strong winds shall arise from the east, and shall open it; and the cloud which he raised up in wrath, and the star stirred to cause fear toward the east and west wind, shall be destroyed.
40 The great and mighty clouds shall be puffed up full of wrath, and the star, that they may make all the earth afraid, and them that dwell therein; and they shall pour out over every high and eminent place an horrible star,
41 Fire, and hail, and flying swords, and many waters, that all fields may be full, and all rivers, with the abundance of great waters.
42 And they shall break down the cities and walls, mountains and hills, trees of the wood, and grass of the meadows, and their corn.
43 And they shall go stedfastly unto Babylon, and make her afraid.
44 They shall come to her, and besiege her, the star and all wrath shall they pour out upon her: then shall the dust and smoke go up unto the heaven, and all they that be about her shall bewail her.
45 And they that remain under her shall do service unto them that have put her in fear. (Sefer Ezra 15 [canonical in EO])
I am not interested in getting into the details of the interpretation too far. I just thought it was interesting that the "best" Greek based scholarship via Wallace has come full circle to the position easily seen in the Peshitta, and the only way to explain the two Greek traditions is the flexibility in the structure of the Peshitta.

Doug
Doug in CO Wrote:I am not interested in getting into the details of the interpretation too far. I just thought it was interesting that the "best" Greek based scholarship via Wallace has come full circle to the position easily seen in the Peshitta, and the only way to explain the two Greek traditions is the flexibility in the structure of the Peshitta.

Doug

Except that the peshitta of 2 Peter that we have today was translated from greek in maybe the 5th or 6th century IIRC.
The Church of the East never possessed an Aramaic copy of 2 Peter. Aphrahat for example never quotes from it.

So eventually the COE made translations as they still considered it to be of some benefit.
judge Wrote:
Doug in CO Wrote:I am not interested in getting into the details of the interpretation too far. I just thought it was interesting that the "best" Greek based scholarship via Wallace has come full circle to the position easily seen in the Peshitta, and the only way to explain the two Greek traditions is the flexibility in the structure of the Peshitta.

Doug

Except that the peshitta of 2 Peter that we have today was translated from greek in maybe the 5th or 6th century IIRC.
The Church of the East never possessed an Aramaic copy of 2 Peter. Aphrahat for example never quotes from it.

So eventually the COE made translations as they still considered it to be of some benefit.

Shlama Akhi. Actually the CoE has yet to translate or use these books. The Aramaic translations that exist come from other groups like the SOC or the Chaldean Catholic offshoot.
Paul Younan Wrote:Shlama Akhi. Actually the CoE has yet to translate or use these books. The Aramaic translations that exist come from other groups like the SOC or the Chaldean Catholic offshoot.

Yes , my memory was a bit out. Is it that the COE is happy for people to use these books for their own personal edification but doesn't use them itself in any way?
judge Wrote:
Paul Younan Wrote:Shlama Akhi. Actually the CoE has yet to translate or use these books. The Aramaic translations that exist come from other groups like the SOC or the Chaldean Catholic offshoot.

Yes , my memory was a bit out. Is it that the COE is happy for people to use these books for their own personal edification but doesn't use them itself in any way?

Shlama Akhi. Yes that is an accurate statement. The CoE uses scripture primarily in the setting of fixed liturgical readings (ie, selected passages for certain days of the yearly cycle) and in patristics. In both cases these books are not represented in the sources. Nor in any manuscripts.

Bible studies in the church, private reading at home, etc, is where these books are used depending on the people/group.