Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it?
Shamasha Paul,

Thank you so much for your time and your response. I really appreciate it.

What I am about to ask is not based on a foundation of conviction, but rather confusion. Perhaps you, or anyone else, when times allows, can shed some light on this topic for me?

Okay, so here's what I see reading the bible. The message that Jesus preached Himself and the message that He said He was "sent" to preach and the message that He sent His disciples to preach unto the world is not what is being preached today in almost any church as far as I have witnessed.

Jesus' message was shown in Luke 4:43:

"43 But he said, ?I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent."

Having read the above verse, I don't understand why the main focus isn't on the kingdom of God. Can you explain that? Instead of following suite and pointing our attention to the kingdom of God, we focus our attention on the death and resurrection of Jesus. Doing so, to me - and I say this having not put too much study into it, --seems-- as though it's changed from one thing to another. The "good news" Jesus was preaching is no longer being preached but seems to have changed into a gospel of His death and resurrection. Is His resurrection "good news?" Yes, of course. Was it the "good news" Jesus was preaching? According to scripture, I can't see how it could be.

So what gives? What am I missing? All I see is how important this gospel seems to Jesus, and yet no one ever speaks of it. Why? It's so important that in Matthew 6:33, Jesus actually instructs us to "seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God." If Jesus were here today, and He said to us, "first things first: seek the kingdom of God", why would it make any sense whatsoever for us to do anything first besides seeking the kingdom or (for those in authority) to preach about it? I honestly don't get it, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Here are a few verses that confirm what Jesus referred to as "good news" and what Jesus was constantly preaching and what He sent His disciples out to preach:

Acts 8:12:

12 But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Luke 8:1

1 After this, Jesus traveled about from one town and village to another, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom of God.

Luke 16:16:

16 ?The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.

Mark 1:15:

15 ?The time has come,? he said. ?The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!?

Matthew 4:23:

23 Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.

Mark 1:14-15:

14 After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. 15 ?The time has come,? he said. ?The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the good news!?

Messages In This Thread
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Seeker - 02-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Re: The gospel of Jesus Christ: What is it? - by Arkady - 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM