Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark 9:49
Shlama Akhay,

In the Greek version of Mark 9:49, we read with astonishment:

Quote:"And everything will be salted with fire...."

In Aramaic, the root [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Xlm [/font]can mean "to salt" or "to scatter" as the Comprehensive Aramaic Lexicon demonstrates:

Quote:mlx V
011 Palestinian,Syr,JBA to salt
012 Syr to scatter
013 BibAr,Syr to use someone's salt
014 Syr to become salty
041 Syr to be salted
051 Syr to treat someone in a familiar way
LS2 390,J 788
R melxA) N

Obviously, what Meshikha meant was:

Quote:"And everything will be scattered/pulverized (Neth-mel-ekh) with fire...."

Now that's not all. Yes, the verb root also means "to salt" - and, yes, Meshikha uses the second meaning in the second phrase of verse 49:

Quote:"And every sacrifice with salt will be salted (Teth-mel-ekh)." (c.f., Leviticus 2:13)

Finally, the Aramaic root in question is also used in this same manner in the Hebrew scriptures:

Quote:"Lift up your eyes to the sky, Then look to the earth beneath; For the sky will vanish wxlmn like smoke, And the earth will wear out like a garment And its inhabitants will die in like manner; But My salvation will be forever, And My righteousness will not wane." (Isaiah 51:6)

Therefore, the proper interpretation of Mark 9:49 is:

Quote:"For everything will be destroyed [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Xlmtn [/font]with fire, and every sacrifice will be seasoned [font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Xlmtt [/font]with salt."

A beautiful word-play Meshikha used with the dual meaning (scatter~salt) of this root!
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]
Man, my Messiah makes Shakespeare (or Marlowe, depending on what you think...) look like an amatuer.